• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mineral oil instead of water?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Twigglish

Seeing as mineral oil is non conductive... Wouldnt it be safer to use it instead of water for liquid cooling? If it busts, its just shooting non conductive liquid everywhere. Quite a mess, and very hard to clean up but its safer, isnt it?
If you did this, would you see the same (or at least similar) temps to just using water?

You could use it but you would need a decent pump to pump it and its thermal properties are not very good.

And it eats silcone tubing I tihnk.

SeasonalEclipse said:
Oils too slow to go through the system to keep things cool.

A little bit stronger of a pump and that shouldnt be an issue though.

Also, anybody know what kind of temperatures people get with their full submerged mineral oil rigs?

There are very few things around with better thermal properties than water.

Mineral oil has a specific heat of 1.67 kj/kg°k and a thermal conductivity of .133 w/m°k. That's better than air, but it can't compete with water at 4.19 kj/kg°k and .58 w/m°k

Uh-oh, not another one of these threads :D.

I think it's going to be another one of those months, oil, mercury, now we're just waiting on gasoline cooling :D.

Stick with water, its cheap, effective, and if you want really cold temps, just build a real chiller and be happy with that setup.

Otter said:
Mineral oil has a specific heat of 1.67 kj/kg°k and a thermal conductivity of .133 w/m°k. That's better than air, but it can't compete with water at 4.19 kj/kg°k and .58 w/m°k

Otter, you amaze me as to where you come up with so many specifics. How in the world do you keep up with all of this stuff?

Moto7451 said:
Uh-oh, not another one of these threads :D.

I think it's going to be another one of those months, oil, mercury, now we're just waiting on gasoline cooling :D.

Stick with water, its cheap, effective, and if you want really cold temps, just build a real chiller and be happy with that setup.

I am also at a loss as to why we keep seeing threads trying to improve on the best thing possible to use for watercooling- plain old water. Water is really an amazing thing if you really look at its properties.

Propaganda said:
Guys!!! I just got a gr8 idea! Lets try gasoline!

Back in the day there was a thread about using cat urine 'cause it was UV reactive. From my personal experiences milk is the da l33tniss.

wow, haha umm cat urine would be interesting to use, however, the ammonia might have some side effects on parts

edit: and cooling at 5 dollars a gallon where do i start? :p (gasoline prices are insane!)

I've recently googled about improving the thermal conductivity of water and sadly there is nothing commercially available. They've talked about putting nano-ceramics into the water, but thats back in 2006. Just stick to your plain old distilled water folks.

I think the ethanol thread is supposed to come next, followed closely by the "my loop is cooled with vodka" thread.

voigts said:
Otter, you amaze me as to where you come up with so many specifics. How in the world do you keep up with all of this stuff?
I cheat. I use a computer. ;)

In this case, I remembered the overclockers.com article about how to watercool a PSU. That gave me either thermal conductivity or specific heat for mineral oil, and I turned up the other number quickly with a search. The thermal properties of water, of course, are easy to find.

Most of the equations I post come out of my notes. Once I've looked it up or figured it out once, it's usually in a text file.

Back