• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I been debating about the motherboard I'm going to get for my q6600 g0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jjyouroverclock

Registered
I been keeping my choices to the more affordable yet high quality GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L or

Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 Intel P965.

I'm really not going to use raid, but want something to support pc2 6400 memory as well and full support for the quad.

you should really get a P35 chipset board if you want the best performance out of your Q6600. that said, get the P35-DS3L.

Yep, recommend the P35-DS3L/R/P, I got the DS3P and Oc'd my quad to 3 Gig last night in one go with all set to auto, no sweat...:D

ancalime said:
Abit IP35-E is the cheapest viable board. $71 at mwave!

If you spend $300 on a good quad then I would suggest a mid range board...the IP35-E is kinda low range.

Brolloks said:
If you spend $300 on a good quad then I would suggest a mid range board...the IP35-E is kinda low range.

GA-P35-DS3P So you run this motherboard on a q6600 and favor it over ip35-e?

jjyouroverclock said:
GA-P35-DS3P So you run this motherboard on a q6600 and favor it over ip35-e?

Yep, works really great with my Q6600 and 2 GB of Crucial Balistix PC6400, see my signature

ok there is how my sistem is gonna be.....

q6600 g0, CORSAIR XMS2 2GB memory, ga-p35-ds3 motherboard, videocard(still deciding), 250gb sata2 hardrive. I am not using raid so i will get the cheapest p35-ds3.

alright guys im gonna post my savings for ya. This is call the hustling deal!!!!!

Corsair Memory xms2 2 gigabytes

104.99 free shipping - 20 dollars discount

84 dollars

106.00 with shipping included

dollars for my GIGABYTE GA-P35-S3L

=$91.00 Dollars

300 dollars for my q6600 processor

Total spent: $475.00 dollars

saved $40.00 dollars

two suggestions...

upgrade the memory to something much more overclockable and pay the same while you're at it. get the 2x1GB ddr2-800 kit of crucial ballistix from newegg, $79.99 after rebate http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820146565

upgrade the motherboard to something more reliable for $5. the DS3L offers solid-state capacitors throughout the board, much better than the caps used on the S3L. it's $5 more for better reliability and arguably longer life. the P35-S3L is relatively low-end, especially since you plan on using it with a Q6600

shirker said:
two suggestions...

upgrade the memory to something much more overclockable and pay the same while you're at it. get the 2x1GB ddr2-800 kit of crucial ballistix from newegg, $79.99 after rebate http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820146565

upgrade the motherboard to something more reliable for $5. the DS3L offers solid-state capacitors throughout the board, much better than the caps used on the S3L. it's $5 more for better reliability and arguably longer life. the P35-S3L is relatively low-end, especially since you plan on using it with a Q6600

They are the same motherboards the p35-s3L runs cooler though.

ok i placed an order for the p35-s3L, is there are reason why I should cancel the order to get the ds3l?

jjyouroverclock said:
ok i placed an order for the p35-s3L, is there are reason why I should cancel the order to get the ds3l?

Uh, what Shirker said maybe????? :-/

Why do you want to skimp over 5 dollars and get a cheaper board with inferior parts??? Just buck up and the the DS3L..... You'll be much better off for it.

The DS3L is cheaper than the S3L by $5 on the Egg, not more expensive, and shipping is less as well. What is the difference b/n these 2 boards...the components only? Does the D stand for Durable that they market?

If the DS3L uses better caps, chokes, and MOSFETS then it is the obvious pick. I haven't looked in depth at the difference b/n these 2, but I think the D model is the better one. Why do you think the S3L runs cooler?

Brolloks said:
Yep, works really great with my Q6600 and 2 GB of Crucial Balistix PC6400, see my signature

This is the best bang for the buck set up going on right now:

G0 Q6600/X3220/X3210
GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L
2 GB of Crucial Balistix PC6400

jason4207 said:
If the DS3L uses better caps, chokes, and MOSFETS then it is the obvious pick. I haven't looked in depth at the difference b/n these 2, but I think the D model is the better one.
the DS3L and S3L are identical with the exception of the caps. the DS3L features "Conductive Polymer Aluminum Solid Capacitors which offer better electronic conductivity and excellent heat resistance for enhanced system durability." Given that it practically costs the same as the S3L, it's no question as to which one to get

shirker said:
the DS3L and S3L are identical with the exception of the caps. the DS3L features "Conductive Polymer Aluminum Solid Capacitors which offer better electronic conductivity and excellent heat resistance for enhanced system durability." Given that it practically costs the same as the S3L, it's no question as to which one to get

Just as I suspected.

No brainer...the "D" has better caps and is cheaper...on the Egg at least.

The non-"D" does have a better NewEgg rating, but w/ only a few comments for each, I'd take that w/ a grain of salt.

jason4207 said:
Just as I suspected.

No brainer...the "D" has better caps and is cheaper...on the Egg at least.

The non-"D" does have a better NewEgg rating, but w/ only a few comments for each, I'd take that w/ a grain of salt.

You absolutely cannot put any faith in the ratings on newegg. Please listen to the people here as they know much more than most of the people rating items on newegg. Most people are rating newegg, not the product. I have seen outlandish claims by people on there for OC's and such.

Back