• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem shutting down windows

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Miss winnie

Registered
I bought an intel p4 1.5 ghz about 4 months ago... It was working fine except an occaional freeze and shut down problems. now i am experiemncing them almost everytime i turn on my cpu! Every program i load in about the first 15 mins after start up freezes and it takes away my sound after that... and when i shut down the computer just sit there doing nothing not even thinking... A few times it shut down properly but mostly lke almost everytime it don't do anything... can anyone help me plz??

Has to be something that is starting up when Windows loads.

If running XP or 98 go to Start-->Run and type in MSCONFIG. Once the configuration utility loads, go to the last tab and see what programs are loading up with Windows. If you see anything that you don't need running at startup everytime, just uncheck the box.

Also, if there are any programs that you installed at the same time the problems started arising you may want to look into uninstalling them or updating them.

WinMe gives me a few shutdown problems now and then and i could not tell you why, what OS are you using? As far as freezing what MB? CV? Cooling? and as Jon said clean up your start up files and see if that helps it very well may solve your problem.

but i don't know which of them are essential for starup... for example LoadQM, Load pewerprofile, 666, Adobe Gamma reader, run= if i unclick anyof them would it efect my start up.. like would it muck up my pc and never be able to start again?

I am using windows 98 and whenever i shut down sometimes a windows says it has to shutdown Default IME and it ask me to wait, End task or cancel... What is defaut ime and how can i shut down my comp safely?

It wont hurt if you press reset or hold the power button in for 4 seconds or whenever it shutsdown it will just run scandisc to check for errors. Make sure you have gone to windows updates to check for the shutdown patch.

As far as the start up menu in msconfig it wont hurt to uncheck anything except system tray and scanreg, everthing else can go. Heres the thing if after you uncheck everything you find something not working just go back in recheck the item not working and reboot and it will work again, nothing is permenantly deleted if you uncheck it can be rechecked to get that program working again. in mine i have scan reg, system tray, and thats it :) but i do have a hardware modem if you have a software modem it will need to be checked.

It sounds like you might be having system resource problems. Try using the System Resource Meter to see if you are using all the system resources when the computer hangs up. You might also want to try one of the memory management programs like Freemem Pro. 98 is not very good at memory management.

You also might want to consider upgrading to Windows XP, it is much more stable than 98 and manages memory and system resources alot better than 98 does.

thanks! you've been a real help... it's shutting down once or twice now heh... better than before! thanks:D

Miss winnie said:
thanks! you've been a real help... it's shutting down once or twice now heh... better than before! thanks:D

Go with Windows 2K hehe ... Powerful OS 100x better than 98 ... :)

Miss winnie said:
but i heard that windows 2k and XP cannot support a lot of applications..

LOL Bullox, that's like 2 year old news. Windows 2000 has Service Pack 2 which fixes compatiblity etc. and they even have more compatiblity updates. Trust me, lots of people will say the samething then they try it and their like "WHOA Why didn't I try this along time ago"

There are very few programs that will not run on XP, and about the only hardware that is a problem is obsolete stuff that the vendors dont want to do updated drivers for so that you will buy their newer stuff. And XP is definitely the future.

I am running almost every application in XP that I was running in 98, and the ones that I am not are either not needed anymore due to built in features of XP or the companies just haven't gotten their updates completed yet.

Back