• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem installing 95

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Godfodda

I'm trying to get 95 running on a 486 and am having a bit of trouble. It gets to the Win95 logo screen and the bar at the bottom moves around like it should, but after a while I get an error:

While initializing device VXDLDR:
Windows protection error. You need to restart your computer.

As I said, this is a 486. 540 meg Fujitsu SCSI drive w/ Adaptec controller. 24M RAM. Proprietary sound/CDROM controller combo card. CirrusLogic VLB vid card.

Error arose before and after format. I've edited autoexec.bat and config.sys to include CDROM drivers, himem.sys, eansi.sys, and vid driver (all copied from preformat HD onto floppy, back to HD). Problem happened before and after this edit.

I'm lost. Can anyone point me to the problem?

Same thing happened on mine, with Windows 95 First version, and OSR2 that some friend passed me. Donno what the problem is, so I just skipped that and went to win98, now with WinME

Back