• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new cd burner problems (yes its a windows thing)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ebola

Senior Toilet Scrubber
Well I had a good xmas. new radeon 7500 and a new plextor 16x burner. the radeon installed flawlessly but im having a few problems with the plextor. at first when i put it in it showed up fine but after i installed the burning software my drive was no longer visible in my computer and it wouldnt read cds. windows 2k said i have a registry error. some code 19 error where windows cant access the drive. the drive cant be seen in my computer but if you go to add new hardware or check what drives you have by right clicking on one of the other drives it is recognized by windows.

ide 0, two hard drives
ide 1, plextor and a 250meg zip drive

the board is an abit bx6 2

i have tried adding and removing the drive and even when i swap the old drive back into the machine i get the same error.

question is do i have to reinstall windows 2k to fix the registry error so it recognizes it.

thanks

If you installed it, you might want to remove PlexManager. That's the only thing I can think of. You might want to even uninstall the software to see if that is what's really causing your errors

I had the same kinda crap with my Plextor 8432A under win2k on a BE6-II mainboard. Jumper the plextor as master and the zipdrive as slave. Set the Plextor to pio mode 4 in your BIOS setup and the zip-drive to auto. Goto "IDE/ATAPI controllers" ("Secondary IDE-channel, advanced settings") in your win2k device manager, and set 'device 0' (the plextor) to 'pio only' and 'device 1' (the zip) to 'auto'. The Plextor just doesn't like Ultra-DMA in most cases under win2k. Pio mode4 will do cuz this can handle upto 17,7MB/sec.

thanks Lancelot i'll try that. i still think i need to reinstall windows to erase the registry error.

whats weird is the drive showed up until i installed the plextor software.

Do you have Clone CD installed I no for a fact it conflicts with Plex Manager.

Acko

Back