• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me choose a Laptop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Super Nade

† SU(3) Moderator  †
Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy a laptop + accessories (may be a separate buy) for my uncle. He is a physician, so I figured the criteria would be as follows:
  • Primary use is for looking at patient data.
  • Secondary uses include, internet, typing reports and maybe computer controlling medical equipment.
  • Budget $700 (max)
  • It would be nice if it were light, but ruggedness and durability are more important.
  • To be used in a high temperature environment i.e 45 C on an average.
So I figure a super ultra fast laptop is not necessary, maybe a C2D, modest GFX and perhaps 2 Gb of RAM. I'm looking at Dell, Lenovo and HP. I need to make the purchase before the end of the month. Now, since you guys know a lot more that I do about laptops, can you please help me pick one? :)

Last edited:
Vostro 1400,
http://configure.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=ca&CS=cabsdt1&l=en&OC=N1400CX_F_1E
$699

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5270 (1.4GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB), English
Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Basic, English
14.1 inch Wide Screen XGA LCD Display with TrueLife™
No Camera
1GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz, 2 Dimm
120G 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive, without Roxio Creator
Intel® Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
Dell Wireless 1390 802.11g Wi-Fi Mini Card
Integrated High Definition Audio

I would go the route of buying the memory from somewhere else its so much cheaper on their site its like $150 to upgrade the vostro from 1gb to 2gb, you can get 2x1GB ddr2 667 200pin modules for 19.99 each. I have some sitting right beside me waiting for my gfs 1520 to come today :)

If you buy memory later you will probably end out in keeping that price the same, by selling the memory that came in the laptop :)

Last edited:
thats right thats what igot on my gfs 1520 cover everything "accidental" nothing like getting hit from a hammer though haha... very nice, very nice indeed:)

the dell 1420 starts at 699 which includes:

Intel® Pentium® Dual Core T2330 (1.6GHz/533Mhz FSB/1MB cache)
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition
Anti-glare, widescreen 14.1 inch display (1280x800)
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
1GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 667MHz
Size: 120GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
CD / DVD writer (DVD+/-RW Drive)
Dell Wireless 1395 802.11g Mini Card
No Camera
56Whr Lithium Ion Battery (6 cell)
High Definition Audio 2.0

or a

1525 that starts at 599 with:

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5450 (1.66GHz/667Mhz FSB/2MB cache)
Genuine Windows Vista ® Home Basic Edition
Glossy, widescreen 15.4 inch display (1280x800)
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
512MB Shared Single Channel DDR2 667MHz, 1 Dimm
80GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
CD Writer / DVD player (Combo Drive)
Dell Wireless 1390 802.11g Mini-Card
No Webcam Option
28 Whr Lithium Ion Battery (4 cell)
High Definition Audio 2.0

you might want to change/change a few things on this one

or

EDIT: check the classifieds for a great deal on this: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=543390

Last edited:
Guys it has to be new because he is paying for it. Also, the unit will be sent overseas where the temps are scorching hot and the environment is dusty.

Good info so far. I am noting down all your suggestions and will decide by the end of the week. :)

Since you are not really interested in performance, you might wanna check the Lenovo outlet (they have new computers as in ordered and canceled or returned unopened)... For example: a T60 in the following conf will cost you about $800:

Processor........Intel® Core™ Duo T2400 (1.83GHz)
Operating System.......Genuine Windows XP Professional
Screen..............14.1in 1024x768 LCD
Memory...............2GB RAM
Hard Drive...........60GB 5400rpm HD
Optical Storage.........CDRW/DVDRW
Wireless...........Intel 802.11abg wireless
Warranty...........3 Years
Battery.............6 cell Li-Ion Battery
Features.............1Gb Ethernet, UltraNav, Secure chip
Bluetooth..........No
Video Card.........Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950

Granted, it's not the latest and greatest but you get Lenovo build quality and 3 years warranty for under 800 which is not exactly a bad deal as long as you are not interested in calculating 1M SPI in under 20 seconds on your laptop;)

C.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Comp...99870/catOid/-12963/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
I saw this in the store and thought you you ;) lol...

• AMD Athlon 64 X2 TK-57
• 120GB hard drive
• Built-in wireless 802.11bg
• 1GB of DDR2 memory
• DVD + CD-RW

It looks pretty nice for the money. I don't think you really even need a dual but this thing is under 500 bucks! Just looks like a really good deal, better than what dell or newegg has for that price.

Good deal ben, I may bite if it is available here. Also Cornel where can I find a Lenovo Outlet? Is it an e-store or a brick and mortar place?

Back