• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Customized Laptop question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

speelnik

Hi all,

I'm officially new to this forum but I've been doing a lot of reading in this laptop section over the past month or so.

Basically, for the past four months, I've been window shopping for a laptop. Seeing what is out there, how much they cost, etc. (doing my homework).

I have yet to narrow it down to either a 15" or 17", but that will come in time. I do, however, need it mostly for grad school, internet, 3ds max and some time wasting games prior to when class starts.

I've been looking at ibuypower's lists, cyberpowerpc's lists, newegg and tiger direct's offerings and dell's options.

All of which are comparable to within 400 dollars or so.

My question is that I noticed several options do not have a dedicated graphics card which would be a must in my purchase. I am not, however, against installing one after the purchases.

Does anyone know/heard of someone buying an inspiron from dell or a laptop from another manufacturer that did not come with a graphics card but was successful in installing it?

The reason I ask is that I found relatively cheap laptops with all the specs I'm looking for except the graphics card. It would be nothing for me (with my moderate to low knowledge base) to install one myself.

Any help or advice is appreciated...

Thanks!

You won't be able to install a 3rd party graphics card in one of those laptops for a few reasons.

a) It won't have the right connector
b) Even if it did, it probably wouldn't fit.
c) Possible BIOS conflicts
d) And even if all the above are there, thermal limitations would be a concern.

In short, just get an Inspiron 1520 and get all the bits you need :) They are REALLY great laptops.

You won't be able to install a 3rd party graphics card in one of those laptops for a few reasons.

a) It won't have the right connector
b) Even if it did, it probably wouldn't fit.
c) Possible BIOS conflicts
d) And even if all the above are there, thermal limitations would be a concern.

In short, just get an Inspiron 1520 and get all the bits you need :) They are REALLY great laptops.

That is good to know that they will not "part together" like a desktop.

However, the inspiron 1520's are integrated graphix cards. Can you comment on the capabilities?

I just bought a ASUS F3KA-A1.
AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-60(2.00GHz) 15.4" Wide XGA 2GB DDR2 667 160GB 5400rpm DVD Super Multi ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600 512.

Super Happy with it, Altho it gets hot and battery life is a bit short.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220202

The desktop I built is AMD and even though I am happy with it, I think I want my laptop to be a core 2 duo (min).

Also, I am not super familiar with ATI graphics. Can you comment on that particular model's equivalence to nVidia?

Thanks both for your comments.

Anyone have any opinions on a dell vs. cyberpowerpc's options? I would some feedback.

I am well aware of dell's crappy parts and excellent (but expensive) warranty.

Cyberpower seems to have better parts at a cheaper price with a limited warranty.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
That is good to know that they will not "part together" like a desktop.

However, the inspiron 1520's are integrated graphix cards. Can you comment on the capabilities?

The desktop I built is AMD and even though I am happy with it, I think I want my laptop to be a core 2 duo (min).

Also, I am not super familiar with ATI graphics. Can you comment on that particular model's equivalence to nVidia?

Thanks both for your comments.

Anyone have any opinions on a dell vs. cyberpowerpc's options? I would some feedback.

I am well aware of dell's crappy parts and excellent (but expensive) warranty.

Cyberpower seems to have better parts at a cheaper price with a limited warranty.

Thanks again!

ibuypower = no power

Don't buy from them

Honestly, the best thing to do is hook up on Dell's laptop deals, just check Slickdeals everyday, something pops up at least one a week on a good laptop deal.

Like this post on 1-21

* Intel Core 2 Duo T5270 (1.4GHz/800Mhz FSB/2MB cache)
* Genuine Windows XP Home Edition, SP2
* 14.1 inch Wide Screen XGA LCD Display
* 2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz, 2 DIMM
* 120GB 5400RPM Hard Drive
* 8X CD/DVD+RW Read and Burn CD and DVD
* 128MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
* Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 802.11a/g Wi-Fi Mini Card
* Integrated High Definition Audio
* 56 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
* 1 Year Limited Hardware Warranty with Mail-in Service
* 10GB for 1 Year Online Data Backup by Dell DataSafe
* 1 Year Dell Automated PC Tuneup
* Dell Network Assistant

$549 shipped with XP

ibuypower = no power

Don't buy from them

Honestly, the best thing to do is hook up on Dell's laptop deals, just check Slickdeals everyday, something pops up at least one a week on a good laptop deal.

Like this post on 1-21

$549 shipped with XP

Thanks for the info.

B.T.W. Was the "ibuypower" comment on purpose or a typo. I've been looking at cyberpowerpc compared to dell.

Thanks.

:welcome:to the forums...

Another option for you to think about(if it's a possibility) is to take a day and go window shopping. I picked up a Vaio AR520E for $1100 when it was list priced at $1500. It was an instore display at Worst Buy. Works great, got a Targus power adapter with it, and a few other goodies. Sometimes it pays to do a bit of footwork. You can score a great deal by being in the right place at the right time.

I totally agree with what you said.

I know I need a laptop, but I am not am impulsive buyer. I'll wait for the best situation to present itself before I pull the trigger. I have a few more months before I'll start getting "desperate."

I totally agree with what you said.

I know I need a laptop, but I am not am impulsive buyer. I'll wait for the best situation to present itself before I pull the trigger. I have a few more months before I'll start getting "desperate."

I looked everywhere when deciding to get my new laptop. I found Dell was pretty much the best deal by a long shot.

That example above with the 8400GS for $550 is SICK! :eek::drool: You gotta pounce on something like that!!!

I looked everywhere when deciding to get my new laptop. I found Dell was pretty much the best deal by a long shot.

That example above with the 8400GS for $550 is SICK! :eek::drool: You gotta pounce on something like that!!!

i agree it's a good deal, but there are some minimum specs I'm waiting for. I teach some 3d modeling and animation courses and I need the laptop to be able to handle the graphics and processor workload for rendering.

i agree it's a good deal, but there are some minimum specs I'm waiting for. I teach some 3d modeling and animation courses and I need the laptop to be able to handle the graphics and processor workload for rendering.
I would look into the Dell XPS 1530 or the HP 8510p. Both are comparable with the 1530 having a slightly better video card in an 8600GT or the HP 8510p which has better build quailty, and is built better. I think both would suit you well. Each have a WSXGA+ screen, decent battery life, good support, and solid mid range gpu's.

I feel I'm leaning in that direction as well.

Thanks for the info all...it's helping!

ibuypower = no power

Don't buy from them

Like this post on 1-21

$549 shipped with XP

I've been looking for a new laptop myself as my ex took my Dell XPS M170, and while it was a nice laptop it had many issues which I found to be a common thing with the XPS models which are the flag ship laptops from dell. It's all good while it's under warranty but soon as you are out of that you are SOL.

And in all honesty Dell's Customer service is lacking. I've done some checking on here & in other places. ibuypowers laptops are not bad, but a common theme is their customer service really blows. I've read probably close to equal reviews saying they are worse or the same as dell.

So really that is a moot point as I've had pretty poor service from dell in the past. And as I said their (ibuypowers) hardware is good & seems to work good.

So really I can't see any prob with go with them and I'm leaning toward one of their products on Newegg when I'm able to get it. Also nice thing about getting it through newegg is I know newegg's customer service is better then dell's & ibuypowers put together.lol Plus the laptop with pretty much all the spec's I want is about $500-$600 cheaper then one on Dell with lesser spec's. So really for me at least I think I would be better off going with the ibuypower one from newegg.

here is the link to the laptop I'm looking at...

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16834227034

even comes with a bag as well, may not be anything top quality I'm sure but I'm sure it will be just fine.

Last edited:
Go check out Sagaer www.sagernotebooks.com but I recomend buying from www.pctorque.com whom also runs notebookforums.com

I have an older Sager 9860 that i use for games such as eve, Lineage 2, Portal.. Zbrush, Max, Maya etc.. all my 3d animation programs.

Sagers have the advantage of the CPU and GPU are both upgradeable.. I currently have an Nvidia 6800 GO card and it works just fine with zbrush and maya.. so far crysis is the only game or program I have difficulty playing on my sager desktop replacement.

Another thing.. Sager gets their laptops from the same company that Alienware does.. Clevo
Clevo sells to them.. they sell to you.. + 1k for the alienware head..

Thats why you go to pctorque.com and get a sager from them.

Go check out Sagaer www.sagernotebooks.com but I recomend buying from www.pctorque.com whom also runs notebookforums.com

I have an older Sager 9860 that i use for games such as eve, Lineage 2, Portal.. Zbrush, Max, Maya etc.. all my 3d animation programs.

Sagers have the advantage of the CPU and GPU are both upgradeable.. I currently have an Nvidia 6800 GO card and it works just fine with zbrush and maya.. so far crysis is the only game or program I have difficulty playing on my sager desktop replacement.

Another thing.. Sager gets their laptops from the same company that Alienware does.. Clevo
Clevo sells to them.. they sell to you.. + 1k for the alienware head..

Thats why you go to pctorque.com and get a sager from them.

Yeah I looked at them but they didn't have anything quite the way I wanted it, the laptop I got was the closest thing to what I wanted for the price other then being 15.4" instead of 17" but that really isn't a big deal.

Back