• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How Much Faster For +.05Volts?: Q6600/1.26V/3.4GHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
one more question if i may.
The temps apear high as it is, near 45 now, volts at 1.325. I would rather not trust stock cooling.
Is there a decent fan that won't require pulling all these mainboards to install? I don't want frost in the air, just adequate cooling.

one more question if i may.
The temps apear high as it is, near 45 now, volts at 1.325. I would rather not trust stock cooling. Is there a decent fan that won't require pulling all these mainboards to install? I don't want frost in the air, just adequate cooling.

Does your stock fan have a plastic duct extending toward the side panel? This can be setup to act as a cold air duct. Cutting the temperature of the air the fan pushes through the CPU cooler will drop temperatures.

If you'd like to swap after all, almost ANY aftermarket cooler will do the trick. I am getting great results from a Thermaltake Big Typhoon setup with a cold air duct. Cores are idling at 27-30C as I type this, more than acceptable. If you want quiet, get a unit with a largish but slow turning fan.

You don't need an uber cooler for relatively light overclocking like this mod tends to provide. In my case the under load while overclocked temperature only rose about 3-4C over no-OC load temps. This is because the voltage increase is not high, or not even at all if you do only part of my suggestions.

Yes, it has the duct, something i do NOT se with aftermarket coolers. Got a pic of yours in the case or how you ducted it?
:)

WOOHOO!
Turned out my chip was a B3 showing 1.325 volts, but the tape trick was easy and it worked and everything! Totally AWESOME!!!!! I never have luck like this.

My initial core temps were 47,39,43,42 at idle.
Now they are 46,40,43,43.
Under major rendering load they are 70,69,68,67

While my stock fan does have a duct, I see no aftermarket fans with ducts. You said your fan was modded, to what extent to fit it in that case?

WOOHOO!
Turned out my chip was a B3 showing 1.325 volts, but the tape trick was easy and it worked and everything! Totally AWESOME!!!!! I never have luck like this.

My initial core temps were 47,39,43,42 at idle.
Now they are 46,40,43,43.
Under major rendering load they are 70,69,68,67

While my stock fan does have a duct, I see no aftermarket fans with ducts. You said your fan was modded, to what extent to fit it in that case?

Glad it's working well for you, easy mod, great results.

I made a cold air duct from a new side-of-case opening right to the inlet of the 120 mm fan blowing into the Big Typhoon CPU cooler I installed. I also lapped the CPU and cooler.

Do you see any issue with the existing temps I listed? I don't like the 70, and actually, that is at about 70% load, I do not understand why i cannot get it to show a full load. Even when i put in two instances of prime 95 and studiomax rendering, it will not show beyond 70% or so CPU usage. Oh well, different subject i suppose.
Now I gotta find a adequate fan that doesn't require removing the board. Anybody, I am all ears..............
Thanks again Stanm, you get hero status. If this computer somehow spawns anything, it will carry your name.

Do you see any issue with the existing temps I listed? I don't like the 70, and actually, that is at about 70% load, I do not understand why i cannot get it to show a full load. Even when i put in two instances of prime 95 and studiomax rendering, it will not show beyond 70% or so CPU usage. Oh well, different subject i suppose.
Now I gotta find a adequate fan that doesn't require removing the board. Anybody, I am all ears..............
Thanks again Stanm, you get hero status. If this computer somehow spawns anything, it will carry your name.

Just send money!! (j/k)

It's unlikely you'll have to remove the mother board. Since you have a stock intel Quad fan, most likely that is already a screw mount. So you unscrew it and unplug the fan...and load on a better cooler. Using the already installed screw mount that lives on the back of the board. That is all that I did. Easy peasey.

70 might be okay...games only hit 35-39% with Crysis on a quad. If your other applications are similar you might be okay as is for now.

Just send money!! (j/k)

I have ordered those huge HSF and they better work. If they do, I'll do better than money. I'll send baskets of fruit and truckloads of virgins.
If the HSF's don't fit in that case, I'll teach the virgins how to throw the 2 Lb HSF with a high degree of accuracy, but they will still visit. You can keep the fruit.

If you are looking for a good cooler then you will need to pull the motherboard to have an adequate mounting for correct pressure on the cpu...

a couple of great air coolers right now

Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835109125

Tuniq Tower 120

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835154001

Zalman CNPS9700

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118019

out of those three i would recommend the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme the most

If you are looking for a good cooler then you will need to pull the motherboard to have an adequate mounting for correct pressure on the cpu...

Not if you are using a typical Q6600 / Intel board prebuilt. Since those come with a screw-in Intel cooler already. You just use the already-there back of mobo threaded mount.

Here is my stock Intel CPU cooler and factory duct. Note the screws! Check your sample.

original.jpg

Last edited:
Not if you are using a typical Q6600 / Intel board prebuilt. Since those come with a screw-in Intel cooler already. You just use the already-there back of mobo threaded mount.

That was key for me. I even ordered Some backplate/springscrew packages just for that. Seems it would fit in the case and i can fab a (very) short duct to the case side for cool air intake. Makes sense, if it fits. Stanm says it fits. Stanm shared knowledge which allowed me to have a 25% increase in CPU. It cost me 20 minutes and $.00000001. Stanm is a nice person.

Hey, another very minor detail, all the proggies show 3.0 Ghz, but properties under "my computer" still shows 2.4Ghz. I once knew how to make that change. Anybody off the top of their head?

Stanm is a great person.

What exactly does the tape mod do? I didn't quite understand it. In laymans terms please.

It's an overclocking mod intended primarily for "nonoverclockable" 'puters. Just read some more on it.

Ok Stanm,
I got the Typhoon VX installed. had to lap it's warped self. I had also bought a backplate set for a better screw. The oem cooler was a version gateway commonly uses, has a square shroud. Getting to the bolts in the back under the power supply was painful, and certainly not elegant. Would have been easier to sit in the ocrner and stick a fork in my eye. The fan DOES fit, but it's a job for little people with tiny little hands. The Palsy didn't help either.
I was worried at first since the bios showed 15 degree higher temps than the stock fan, but i closed my eyes and went into OS anyway. Launched coretemp. Precise 8 degree drop from stock at idle.

Now the good part. Closed case. Running 4 instances of prime95 small, all 4 cpu's at 100% for 32 minutes now. My max temps before were 70,69,68,67. Now they are 66,60,63,61. Less improvement than I expected. Is this normal?

The fan is 1 inch from the side of the case. I would be grateful for a pic of your shroud idea.

For the time and money, this cooler achieved little in this case. I certainly don't want to do this to 4 more machines. Anybody wanna chime in with a good cooler that will work in the standard gateway case that will still achieve some significant airflow across the board? Mind, if i cannot even see the mounting screws, it would not be a candidate.

I am hoping for slightly lower temps by making a shroud of some sort. I thank you for your assistance and paience with the pin-tape mod very much.
If I cannot find a quieter fan i will probably go back to the stock cooler.

Ok Stanm,
I got the Typhoon VX installed. had to lap it's warped self. I had also bought a backplate set for a better screw. The oem cooler was a version gateway commonly uses, has a square shroud. Getting to the bolts in the back under the power supply was painful, and certainly not elegant. Would have been easier to sit in the ocrner and stick a fork in my eye. The fan DOES fit, but it's a job for little people with tiny little hands. The Palsy didn't help either.
I was worried at first since the bios showed 15 degree higher temps than the stock fan, but i closed my eyes and went into OS anyway. Launched coretemp. Precise 8 degree drop from stock at idle.

Now the good part. Closed case. Running 4 instances of prime95 small, all 4 cpu's at 100% for 32 minutes now. My max temps before were 70,69,68,67. Now they are 66,60,63,61. Less improvement than I expected. Is this normal?

The fan is 1 inch from the side of the case. I would be grateful for a pic of your shroud idea.

For the time and money, this cooler achieved little in this case. I certainly don't want to do this to 4 more machines. Anybody wanna chime in with a good cooler that will work in the standard gateway case that will still achieve some significant airflow across the board? Mind, if i cannot even see the mounting screws, it would not be a candidate.

I am hoping for slightly lower temps by making a shroud of some sort. I thank you for your assistance and paience with the pin-tape mod very much.
If I cannot find a quieter fan i will probably go back to the stock cooler.

Your local ambient air temperatures are too high. Do some ducting...work on the overall airflow. Air cooling works by cooling the fins with air colder than the fins. Then the air that leaves the fins needs to get out of the case.

In any case the temperatures are still livable. It also depends on just how you use the machine. Are you a benchmarker who runs 48 hour full throttle tests all the time? Or do you just want to use a faster machine? If the latter, games like Crysis only load the CPU about 39% maximum. Then look at your other applications and uses. My real world 4 core / 100% loads for photo processing max out at 9 minutes..I don't actually do work on the machine that stresses it longer than that. It could do this as the heat management is there. But it would only see the long term loads on benchmarks which to me are kind of academic, although I can see the appeal.

Last edited:
Your local ambient air temperatures are too high. Do some ducting...work on the overall airflow. Air cooling works by cooling the fins with air colder than the fins. Then the air that leaves the fins needs to get out of the case.

In any case the temperatures are still livable. It also depends on just how you use the machine. Are you a benchmarker who runs 48 hour full throttle tests all the time? Or do you just want to use a faster machine? If the latter, games like Crysis only load the CPU about 39% maximum. Then look at your other applications and uses. My real world 4 core / 100% loads for photo processing max out at 9 minutes..I don't actually do work on the machine that stresses it longer than that. It could do this as the heat management is there. But it would only see the long term loads on benchmarks which to me are kind of academic, although I can see the appeal.

PC gaming i just don't have the time. My CAD work will not tax the processors at all, but there is the occassional marketing video that will run it up to 60% for an hour or two. The worst case is animation rendering. A 5 minute animation with decent lighting would take about 15 secs a frame to render. 9000 frames would take almost 38 hours on one cpu. Stacking these allows me to spread the load among 4 comps, or 16 processors, and keeps the time down to 2 1/2 hours, and still leaves my workstation free to perform. During those 2.5 hours, the processors will be running about 80%. Now that I've confirmed I can run at 100% for an hour without real temp issues, I feel comfortably safe about 70-80% for hours on end. When really good lighting is applied in an animation, it can easily take several minutes per frame. Yeah, the comps can render for a month easy.
Anyway, that's why i'm so grateful for your assistance. The pin-tape mod provided a precise decrease of 32% in time per frame, which will add up significantly. Now that I can be sure flames won't be shooting out the case, all is better.

Again, thanks very much.

PC gaming i just don't have the time. My CAD work will not tax the processors at all, but there is the occassional marketing video that will run it up to 60% for an hour or two. The worst case is animation rendering. A 5 minute animation with decent lighting would take about 15 secs a frame to render. 9000 frames would take almost 38 hours on one cpu. Stacking these allows me to spread the load among 4 comps, or 16 processors, and keeps the time down to 2 1/2 hours, and still leaves my workstation free to perform. During those 2.5 hours, the processors will be running about 80%. Now that I've confirmed I can run at 100% for an hour without real temp issues, I feel comfortably safe about 70-80% for hours on end. When really good lighting is applied in an animation, it can easily take several minutes per frame. Yeah, the comps can render for a month easy.
Anyway, that's why i'm so grateful for your assistance. The pin-tape mod provided a precise decrease of 32% in time per frame, which will add up significantly. Now that I can be sure flames won't be shooting out the case, all is better.

Again, thanks very much.

Glad I could help.

Another few CPU bumps are within range for you when you are ready. Not sure what you are doing memory wise but there are easy things to do there too, and that will help with animation, although not as much as CPU clocking.

i taped as it was described .. jsut taped one pin , didnt do anything else .. it showed me in cpuz the FSB is 1333 ok but the clock speed is 1999 MHZ rather than 3 GHZ .. once in a while it goes to 2999 MHZ .. waht should i do now ? i got Q600 and DG33FB intel motherboard

how to check my cpu clock speed ? prime 95 shows my clock speed is 3 GHZ ..

Last edited:
Back