• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how far can i push my Q6600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaitlin4599

ok so i have a Q6600 revision G0 core temp reports a VID of 1.3250. been running prime95 blend test for 3hours 30 mins. im at stock volts of 1.325 in the bios temps at full 100% load are between 40-45 Celsius depending on the core so far no errors will keep running prime95 till morning. im at 3GHz 9x333 any idea how much farther i can push this baby my goal is 3.8-4.0 if im lucky but 3.6 will be ok cpu is cooled via the cpu cooler in this link http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/...quid-lite-240/

#1 how much farther do you think i can push my cpu
#2 whats the max temp i should watch out for i.e. dont go above x temps for 24/7 running of overclock

thanks for your time

edit cpu reports voltage as 1.246 incase anyone asks also ram is 4gigs OCZ PLATINUM ddr2 running at a ratio of 1:1

That chip will run 3Ghz all day long on those settings. I wouldn’t bother running prime anymore. I know, not the proper way to go about things but just what I think in this case.

If I remember rightly on this chip I wouldn’t want to go too much above 70 degrees whilst under load, I think that was the limit from intel. I couldn’t see what cooler you have from the link so not sure how much you can push it. But just take it slow and increase the overclock a little at a time and then test to see what temps you get.

That chip will run 3Ghz all day long on those settings. I wouldn’t bother running prime anymore. I know, not the proper way to go about things but just what I think in this case.

If I remember rightly on this chip I wouldn’t want to go too much above 70 degrees whilst under load, I think that was the limit from intel. I couldn’t see what cooler you have from the link so not sure how much you can push it. But just take it slow and increase the overclock a little at a time and then test to see what temps you get.

random question once i settle on my 24/7 stable overclock that im happy with is it possible for me to set up the bios so that i dont have o run the over clock 24/7 i.e. the cpu/mobo will only run the max oc i set in bios when at full load and not for say watching movies or browsing web

random question once i settle on my 24/7 stable overclock that im happy with is it possible for me to set up the bios so that i dont have o run the over clock 24/7 i.e. the cpu/mobo will only run the max oc i set in bios when at full load and not for say watching movies or browsing web

If you can have a stable overclock with speedstep enables then yes there is. I do believe it did cause some issues for some people but that was when pushing the chip.

Trying to remember from a few years ago so may be wrong.

If you can have a stable overclock with speedstep enables then yes there is. I do believe it did cause some issues for some people but that was when pushing the chip.

Trying to remember from a few years ago so may be wrong.

i will prolly keep it 24/7 full OC no speed-step just to be safe also in my bios there is enhanced halt and ceist or something cant remember thanks for the help

edit will run prime95 till morning then if stable will increase overclock

Last edited:
kaitlin, you really like those old LGA 775 rigs, don't you!

Last edited:
4 was the magic number that ppl really wanted to hit with those

Last edited by a moderator:
What happened to that xeon machine he wanted to upgrade? The one that was locked from overclocking?

Men, no need to get goofy. If she likes to have some extra hardware, no shame in that. Museum is for artifacts, closet is for CPUs and motherboards. I also keep a 9800gt stashed real good. And those 3gb of ram from a long time ago.

Hit like and share :D

UT, you could help kaitlin start the museum. You could donate some of your artifacts.

Thank you, sir, that's a great idea! I don't do anything with my PC anyways!! She's old, but she's a beauty! Watercooled!

Need more "Thanks!"
Mine are all used up again.

Back