• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How Much Faster For +.05Volts?: Q6600/1.26V/3.4GHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i taped as it was described .. jsut taped one pin , didnt do anything else .. it showed me in cpuz the FSB is 1333 ok but the clock speed is 1999 MHZ rather than 3 GHZ .. once in a while it goes to 2999 MHZ .. waht should i do now ? i got Q600 and DG33FB intel motherboard

how to check my cpu clock speed ? prime 95 shows my clock speed is 3 GHZ ..

I would bet that what you are seeing is the idle speed. Run Orthos Prime or F@H project & recheck your My Computer window.

yah tahts true .. thanks a lot its works awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i cant stop thanking you guys !!!!

OMG man some help here i did the tape mod but cant go past 3.05 Ghz if go just .01Ghz more it the pc stops working help!! i just want to go up to 3.2Ghz T_T my board is an intel G33 also i dont get that vcore mod how do i do it?

Last edited:
I am very much pleased to thank the guys in this forum on explaining how to mod my q6600 2.4 to 3.0 on intel DG33FB. I was able to use setfsb as mentioned and get to 3.2 on stock cooling, but Prime is failing as soon as i start at 3.2 ghz, which I guess is due to temperatures hitting 75 to 80 in coretemp, so i m planning to get a good aftermarket cooler. Apack Zerotherm CF900 is only available to me, is this better than stock cooling?

Also, could someone help me to do pencil mod on DG33FB with a possible picture so that i can get to the sweet 3.4 Ghz!!!, i searched a lot on net and also in my mobo but i m not at all sure which one to pencil.., waiting for ur help.

I didn't know intel boards are not for overcloking before buying, felt sad, but was speechless after doing tape mod and watch it really work, thanks guys.

why am I not able to overclock after the machine boots up at 3 Ghz?????????????????????????????????????????? everyone is getting it to 3.2 but i cant :(

You'll have to adjust setFSB as required in each case...and in my case I added faster low voltage memory to help it deal with the FSB speedup (which affects both ECU clock and memory clock

how do I adjust setfsb? how do you add faster low voltage memory? how do I use memset? how do i twek my memory with memset? i have 5 Gb of ddr2 800

Last edited:
why am I not able to overclock after the machine boots up at 3 Ghz?????????????????????????????????????????? everyone is getting it to 3.2 but i cant :(

You'll have to adjust setFSB as required in each case...and in my case I added faster low voltage memory to help it deal with the FSB speedup (which affects both ECU clock and memory clock

how do I adjust setfsb? how do you add faster low voltage memory? how do I use memset? how do i twek my memory with memset? i have 5 Gb of ddr2 800[/QUOTE

R u trying to get 3.0 only using setfsb??, itz not working mate. I too tried it.

So, whatT u have to DO is, TAPE mod, u will directly go to 3.0 without any hassles, next use setfsb to get to 3.2 and u will be there.

............... i said i did the tape mod and it worked ok i have it at 3.0 stable but when i use set fsb it wont let me overclock it boots at 3.0 but set fsb only lets me go up to 3.06 not even 3.1

is it the ram thats stopping me from overclocking it to 3.2 ????? my ram is at 1.8 v
or is it the cpu voltage? my vcore is 1.275

Last edited:
ok... ive been having trouble OCing my Q6600, i have an XFX 780i mobo which should be OCable. But i can only get it to 3Ghz. Would this tape mod work on my PC?. would i have to get some kind of high quality tape so it doesnt melt?

ok... ive been having trouble OCing my Q6600, i have an XFX 780i mobo which should be OCable. But i can only get it to 3Ghz. Would this tape mod work on my PC?. would i have to get some kind of high quality tape so it doesnt melt?

You really shouldn't need to use this mod on your board. You should have enough BIOS settings to set things appropriately.

my hp a6554f with 3 sticks of 1 GB( and 1 stick of 2 Gb ddr2 pc2-6400 [email protected]

@ 400 MHz 6-6-6-18 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) / 24-51-3-6-3-3 (RC-RFC-RRD-WR-WTR-RTP)

i dont know how to increase my ram voltage

do i need new ram to hit 3.2? i can hit 3.0 just with setfsb without the tape mod and my ram goes up to 500 DDR so i dont think is my ram

helpppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I have a DELL XPS420 is it possible to do the PIN Mod ?

I Have:

Proccesor: Intel Quad Core Q6600
RAM: 6GB(2x2GB Hynix DDR2-800, 2x1GB DONT NOW BRAND DDR2-667)

Will the cooling be a Problem i think not cause Dell has on of those huge Coolers???

Sorry for my english im from germany

I just did the tape mod, that's it. It's a bone stock system and when I go to my computer it shows 3.32GHz not 3.0ghz. Am I going to have to do something to avoid over heating at 3.32ghz? All I did was the tape mod so I thought I wasnt expecting it to be this high (which is good I guess) but does this require me to do anything else?

I just did the tape mod, that's it. It's a bone stock system and when I go to my computer it shows 3.32GHz not 3.0ghz. Am I going to have to do something to avoid over heating at 3.32ghz? All I did was the tape mod so I thought I wasnt expecting it to be this high (which is good I guess) but does this require me to do anything else?

Oh so I had the Q6700 in there and did the tape mod and now i'm at 3.32

Can someone help me?

I did the tape mod to my Q6700. in My computer it shows 3.33ghz now and the same when I run Everest. I think speedstepping is kicking in because the PC idles at onle 1.6ghz is this normal?

Anyway, I think the 3.33ghz is a bit to much - for some reason Windows explorer often (once every 30min of heavy pc usage) says it needs to close. Same goes for when i'm playing flight simulator - the sounds will continue but the screen will freeze and then the computer will restart.

My Temps are fairly normal believe it or not. Core temps for CPU is around 25 - 35C I have yet to see them go up past 35C even after playing flight sim.

my GPU is a bit high at 56C idle and 72-75C after a heavy session of flight sim. I learned how to increase GPU fan speed so now I have this much more under control.

I know my PLL for FSBset but cannot, for the life of me see what the heck it does - I change it one of two clicks but everest and CPUz are reporting same CPU and FSB values - as if FSBset didnt do anything at all.

Can someone help me in possibly reducing or stabalizing my PC? Again, I only did the tape mod and it shot me to 3.33GHZ from 2.66ghz and a FSB from 255mhz to 332.5mhz. Is this normal?! Memory bus is at 399mhz.

I think All i want to do is increase idle CPU speed to 3.0ghz and maybe under load up to 3.3ghz but speed step is slamming it down to 1.9ghz when idle and then up to 3.33 when the CPU gets slammed (but nothing in between). OH! 6x multiplier at idle. 10x when not idle. CPU FSB does not change it stays steady at 332.5mhz. I really dont see/feel the extra CPU speed either?

Last edited:
Hi All

I'm quite late to both the overclocking party and the locked MOBO mods.....and I'm well n00bish so feel free to :bang head first.

But....

Last night I tried the tape mod by only taping the one required pad. Booted PC to Safe mode first....and all went well. CPU-Z showed CPU @ 2996 MHz

Then I tried to restart to normal windows. It boots OK until it nearly gets to the Windows password screen....then the screen goes to the feared blue screen.

I can still restart and go to safe mode fine.

I have removed the tape and the computer boots fine normally to windows, no issues at all.

It's a DELL XPS 420, Q6600, 4x1GB RAM

Any help would be very much appreciated. I've software overclocked using SETFSB to 2.7GHz but any higher and the PC just crashes....so I thought the BSEL mod may be a better choice...and then from their I can setfsb higher.

And Stock cooling...I want to try get as much potential out of it with stock cooling as possible.

Thanks.

Back