• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Netbook: Buy or Wait

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Also wondering, how do you load Win7 without an optical drive. USB dvdrom, copy win7 to usb stick, network install, fit drive into desktop..

And I thought Win7 Home Basic / Starter had a 1GB ram CAP..

i installed win7 over a flash drive before. there was a guide, i'll see if i can find it again.

^ Thanks. I've currently got that raptor in the classies, and am looking at a 30GB vertex turbo.

Which version of Win7 did you load? I was assuming you used Starter.

Edit: Found this guide.

Last edited:
Thanks for the thread guy. I ended up buying the Samsung N120 for $349. Also got the 2 GB memory upgrade.

I've read a lot of people using Win 7 on netbooks. Seems to run smooth. If i ever jump and grab one it'd be what I run. Love it on my desktop.

Well, just wanted to update my netbook status: I'm going to sell my Asus 1000HE.

My biggest beef with it is, running XP and firefox, the Atom seems to choke up on any sort of multitasking. I've had to disable javascript on a lot of sites because it really hangs for 5+ seconds, and by hang I mean I can't even hit stop or alt-tab.

IMHO, surfing the web means being able to load 2 arbitary tabs at the same time, regardless of javascript or embedded flash videos, without any noticeable delay. Unfortunately, these "netbooks" still can't even do that.

Honestly, the atom is seriously underpowered.

What version do you people run?? I've got Pro and Starter.

well as far as i knew win7 isnt retail yet... im running the RC but those in the MS network can get other versions i think. the RC im running on my desktop is a win7 ult version.

well as far as i knew win7 isnt retail yet... im running the RC but those in the MS network can get other versions i think. the RC im running on my desktop is a win7 ult version.

MSDN. I've got all versions. Running Pro on my desktop, downloaded Starter for the netbook.

Got my 1008HA in the mail this morning. Got Win7 Starter loaded and running. Loaded it from a USB stick, details here. Installation finshed, rebooted an hung at the 'starting windows' with animation screen for over an hour. Disabled quick boot in bios and it booted up fine to the well known 'Win7 Black Screen'. Haven't fixed it yet. And theres an unknown device in devmgr I can't find a driver for.

Last edited:
Bailed on Win7, couldn't find a way around the black screen- and I tried a lot. So okay, I'll 'settle' for XP right? HA! I tried LOTS of things to load xp from a usb stick, to no avail! Theres some pretty standard methods and they just didn't work for me. So I broke down and pulled the HDD, put it in my desktop and loaded XP on it. Swapped back and it just half boots to BSOD. Awesome. So I bought a external dvd-rom drive from BB and XP claims I have no hard disks!! GRRR. The eeePC cd runs setup fine, but I didn't want that. I downloaded Ubuntu 9.04 netbook remix and installed it a usb stick and that loads FINE. I only took half the hdd for linux so I'm going to try to get xp on there when I'm done. Ridiculous. Good site for getting ubuntu running on this thing.

Last edited:
Couldn't load any XP disc I owned. WOuld BSOD or report no discs. Dual boot with eeepcXPhome and Ubuntu running.

I had my 1st BSOD on the NC10 yesterday. NFTS.sys. I hadn't been doing much w/ it @ the time. Although I have been using it as a torrent machine pretty much 24/7 for the past week. Poor little dude...

I needed one for travel. But something like those will make a nice upgrade.

Last edited:
Back