• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Maximum multiplier?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gersen

(cross-posted on "Intel Motherboards")

howdy all,

I have a question about upgrading older systems. There are a lot of 440BX chipset boards out there. When I look up the stats to see what speeds they support, the maximum supported CPU speed is always listed as whatever was the fastest on the market when the board was released.

If I have a board that does 100 MHz front side bus, will it support any multiplier I plug into it? Or does it top out at some point. I'm looking at upgrading a bunch of Pentium II/450 boxes, and I'm hoping I can just add a slocket and a P3/1000 (or whatever the fastest P3 designed for 100MHz FSB is).

Any problems with that?

G

Last edited:
Not sure about the question, and I understand the reason for being unsure which topic to post under, but- please don't double post!
It eats up server space, and so forth.

I would think the mobo section would be the best to post in, but either way please delete one of the threads.
Thanks.

Well, "usually" if you use a slotket, you don't have a problem getting a higher multiplier to work in an older mobo. You might try just one to test this theory before buying a whole bunch. Also, "usually" most name brand mobos have updated BIOS files you can download for free from their website. Flash the BIOS with the new update and often you'll have higher multiplier support.

PS: I know a couple of people that don't have much money that are looking for faster P-II CPUs (they have 233 and 266). Don't know what your plans are for the old CPUs you plan to upgrade, but if you need to dispose of them, PM me.

Maximum Multiplier

Well... maximum multiplier for mobo with 440BX probably does not count. Branded system with 440BX mobo (intel, dell, compaq, etc). most probably limit the list of supported processors up to 500 - 550MHz. But don't worry.... you can go beyond the 550 limits! You may consider going up to 1000MHz. Before doing so, please consider this:

(1.) Older motherboards (slot 1) have DC power limitation to support higher voltage for faster processors. The Voltage Regulator probably cannot go lower than 1.6v as well as provide high amperage at 1200MHz. Ditto with Capacitors and Clock Generator. Check Intel website for details description of Pentium 3's wattages and currents variations.

(2.) Slot 1 mobo have limited number of supported processor list programmed in BIOS. Thus, BIOS may report wrong processor. No need to worry. The processor actually run normal. Use WCPUID by H.Oda, SiSoft Sandra, 3DMark 2001 etc. to find out the running processor speed, and you know you are right.

(3.) Be happy with it. Don't expect high O.C results with Slocket. Stability is the most important after all.

Good Luck..

:D

I'm currently running a 1.1ghz P3 in a slocket on a bx board.I don't think the multiplier is an issue as it is fixed & set by the cpu more important is that the bios recognises a coppermine chip and the onboard regulator can go low enough when instructed to by the slocket or cpu.Power supply should be a consideration as should cooling,i.e is there room for the large hsf ? can the slocket retain the weight?My set up works stable which is great considering bx boards were initially only rated up to 600mhz I use the Asus 370dl which retains in the slot1 great.

All previous boards should have bios updates which support up to 12x multiplier and a slotket will work as long as the multiplier support is there.

Yodums

I have a 1GHz celeron (fcpga in slocket) in a board rated up to 6X. The bios saw it as somthing like 6 X 166FSB, even though the fsb doesn't go that high. All is good though, thank God for the locked multipliers and voltage jumpered slockets.

Back