• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cannot shut down automatically in Win2k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Elmo

I have a Chaintech 6BTM motherboard running Win2k. With Win98, the computer was able to shut down automatically without me having to press the switch. With Win2k, it says "Now safe to turn off your computer" and requires me to hold the power button for 4 seconds. I'm not sure, but I think it was shutting down automatically in Win2k before I installed a BIOS update. Does anyone know how to solve my problem?

Thanks.

Enable Advanced Power Management in the BIOS as well as in Windows.

Also check that ACPI is enabled.

First of all your board will have to support ACPI. Secondly you'll have to enable it. Note that many of these older boards don't support ACPI properly this is why when you install win2k on some of these older boards it won't install the ACPI HAL by default. It may be that your better off without ACPI if your older board doesn't support it very well. It can cause alot of problem on these older boards. Anyway, after you enable ACPI in the bios you'll likely have to re-install win2k as simply switching back and forth between a non-ACPI or MPS Hal and an ACPI HAL can bork your win2k installation. Then if ACPI causes problems with your board you'll find yourself doing it all over again in reverse to go back to a non-ACPI HAL. So, all in all, I'd say it's probably not worth it and if it were me I'd just stick with the non-ACPI HAL unless I had a newer motherboard that properly supports it.

Usually ACPI is set on default in the bios. Win2K doesn't usually put APM on default in Windows set it in the display propertiers> screen saver> options> APM then check it.

Should fix it. fixed it with my Win NT Kernal issue

Back