• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cheapest case ever

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigbenji

Registered
I'm building a pc for my kid from old spare parts. I've got everything but a case and pwr supply. I'm just looking for the cheapest way to get this thing together, so he can play LegoLand or Harry Potter and so I can have my pc back.

cardboard, hamster cage, fish tank, whatever... just looking for cheap
thanks

bigbenji said:
I'm building a pc for my kid from old spare parts. I've got everything but a case and pwr supply. I'm just looking for the cheapest way to get this thing together, so he can play LegoLand or Harry Potter and so I can have my pc back.

cardboard, hamster cage, fish tank, whatever... just looking for cheap
thanks

well you could just lay out the parts on the desk, if you dont have any cats or kids that would play with it... and dust would be a factor too..

it's for my seven year old who knows not to touch such things, but spilling something on it would also be a concern. thanks for the input though,

I don't think I want to buy a case off the net, I can get a discount at a local shop (through a relative) and get a case w/ pwr supply for about $50 (no shipping)
I'll just do that if I can't come up with some other way

thanks guys

bigbenji said:
it's for my seven year old who knows not to touch such things, but spilling something on it would also be a concern. thanks for the input though,

I don't think I want to buy a case off the net, I can get a discount at a local shop (through a relative) and get a case w/ pwr supply for about $50 (no shipping)
I'll just do that if I can't come up with some other way

thanks guys

thats cool, well good luck :)

do the cardboard box thing!
iv seen it on i think virtual hideout gallery...
or a milk crate or something or just seal it up and put a few fans in it...

hey thanks BMX, I can get that shipped for a total of about $30. I think we've got a winner.

The cork buletin board pc has got to be the cheapest and best cooled one I've seen. A 3 dollar cork buletin board from a garage sale, with all the components stuck to it with push pins, double sided tape and wire.
Just hang it up behind the desk and it can't get stuff spilled on it too easily either.

Just sharing a thought.

That's all I ask digger, but I don't think my wife would appreciate it hanging on the wall. Anyone have a link to instructions for a cardboard box "case"?

If you could score a killer deal on some Lego's, that would make a cool case for a 7 year old. He would probly really like helping you build it too. Just a thought.
Good Luck

ok, maybe I'll just spend the $30, that's too much work. I can't wait to see the picks from that kid who's doing the lego case. Like others in the thread said, you could make logos and color code stuff and make it look great. I just don't have that kind of time.

thanks for the ideas

does anyone know where to find instructions to make a cardboard box case?

Back