• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 quick W2K Qns

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sangram

Hi

Absolute newbie to W2K, so sorry if the questions make you roll your eyes.

1. How do I get the OS to assign different IRQs to different devices? Sound, Video and soft modem currently share the same IRQ

2. Where's MSconfig, or how do I disable unnecessary startup stuff?

More comin atcha later

Sang

Thanks Spike, I already have TweakUI. I'm actually dual booting now between 2K and 98SE, I find 2K a bit faster but I need a lot of tweaks, more than tweakUI can provide....

Sang

Bmx: Thanks!

Oni: Framerates of games is dismally low, the sound is also choppy. Problem non-existent in 98SE. I guess the IRQs are the reason, 'cause win2k whips SE's tail on everything else.

Sang

turd said:
have u updated your direct x in 2k?

the first time running 2k and benching my video i noticed the score were too low in comparison with the one i used to get with 98se. installing directx8 with 98se always made my score to drop. then i decided to try it out with the 2k, i was using the version 7 since that was the best then: directx8 made all the difference. i dont know if thats common (it must be) but 8 works so much better with 2k than the version 7. of course i havent a geforce3, mine is one mx.
i think that if your system supports ACPI the problem wont be the irqs. it can be but you can look for other things before.

Back