• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How I modded my Windows 7 installation - How (not) to install Windows 7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i don't really understand what was wrong with my description, but here

Attachments

• idiot.jpg
    idiot.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 318
ok splat, let's do this step by step:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AudioCD\shell\play\command

Click on command > Right Click on Default in the right pane > Modify Binary Data > Hold Delete until everything is deleted and only 0000 remains > OK

Is that what you mean? Because if it is, you still get the error. Still only by deleting the entire AudioCD key can you access the contents of audio cd by double clicking on the drive link.

ok splat, let's do this step by step:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AudioCD\shell\play\command

Click on command > Right Click on Default in the right pane > Modify Binary Data > Hold Delete until everything is deleted and only 0000 remains > OK

Is that what you mean? Because if it is, you still get the error. Still only by deleting the entire AudioCD key can you access the contents of audio cd by double clicking on the drive link.

Is this some kind of DRM feature built in win7 now !!?

Just to track back on the "partitioning strategy", press SHIFT + F10 on the very first screen. The one where you are to choose language, location,etc. A command prompt will pop up & you can use DISKPART to make whatever partition strategy you want. Just found it out a few minutes ago.

Sonny, that is gold, I'm including that in my notes right now, especially since old partitioning software is no good for new chipsets/drives. Thanks buddy.

Audioaficionado, it's not DRM, when you place an Audio CD in your drive, a Microsoft programmer thought the only reason you did that is so that you can open up Windows Media Player and start playing the first song on that CD... using Microsoft Windows Media Player of course (what else?) :).

So I don't know what splat is talking about, I wish he could clarify but I found the only way to disable WMP from automatically launching to play the first song is to delete the AudioCD key.

Then you can access extra content etc. on AudioCD by double clicking on it.

c6 btw i finally found an audio cd and put it in my laptop. VLC popped up and played it. No WMP. If I put one in that has extra media stuff, i get the "how would you like to open this?" dialog.

To avoid launching *any* program and just open to see the contents of CDs or DVDs:

Sometimes Audio CDs, especially newer CDs have extra video content on them. If people simply wish to see the contents of the optical drive displayed and prevent any program assuming anything and launching itself when you double click on your CD/DVD drive under My Computer, then I found that can be only accomplished by deleting these two keys from the registry:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AudioCD\
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DVD

mod the explorer/menuorder/favorites keys to mostly datecreate order. How?

c627627 I see you know what you are doing with regedit and scripts in lieu of regedit. I want to mod the explorer/menuorder/favorites keys to mostly datecreate order. How? the values appear to be non-documented.

Welcome to the forums. If you did not change default location of your Favorites folder, then go to C:Windows\Favorites

View > Sort By > More > Date Created
then
View > Sort By > Date Created

Then you would have to open Internet Explorer and manually arrange the order of Favorites.

Alternative is to find a separate program that would do this automatically and I personally have never heard of one.

You would save the order of Favorites by going to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Favorites and right click on Favorites > Export.

c627627,

regarding the ...Date Created sorting method.

Would you know of a method to enable this option in the right-click menu for all folders by default?

I remember that one. Windows 7 does not have a permanent setting to remember your own "Sort By" choices so you can just right click on them. I briefly looked for a solution back then and could not find it.

If anyone else does, please post.

Windows 7 has multiple restrictions along those lines, developers went out of their way to limit personal customizations in Windows 7. :(

A couple of days ago someone started yet another thread about the biggest limitation of Windows 7 when it comes to using it in work environments - you cannot move files or folders and group them on different parts of the screen under Windows 7.
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Fo...l/thread/27314d0a-9c70-4b79-93e7-23fe60e7e374

I'm thinking about posting there that there actually is a reg hack but it breaks other functionality in Windows 7 so it's not really a solution.

If permanent Sort By reg file exists like you want it, I hope it doesn't break other things, but I would also use it if it existed.

thanks for the response. All I find in searches is just the method to enable, but not to make permanent. It seems like such an easy thing to do.

Tis the manual chores of ordering things individually that is iritating. That I can do. But that I refuse to do 10,000 times which is what is involved here lol.

if a guru can not find it i shall assume it is a bug in windows that needs to be fixed (my view) or a desired feature (probably the ms view if past experience is anything to go on).

* Get rid of "Windows can't verify the publisher of this software" warning when installing drivers: [This unfortunately does not work on Windows 7 final build.]
Start Menu > Run > gpedit.msc > User Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Driver Installation > Double click on Code signing for device drivers > Enabled > (below Enabled) click on the down arrow next to 'Warn' and select Ignore.

I did not read through every response, so forgive me if this has been mentioned already. There is a way around this that works perfectly fine.

Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider 1.3b

Back