• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED THE OVEN TRICK - WORKED

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What courier did you use...?

Looks like they have been man handled and not damaged while installing a waterblock... unless you used a hammer... :D

Doubt the oven trick would work with that kind of damage... what are the other 2 like?

Now you have quad sli 295...? Do you have money oozing out of your ears....? :D

sell them on ebay:) the price of faulty graphics cards are getting higher lol

dd123pp - i would first try and identify what is causing the problem, has the damage damaged any of the components..

if you have nothing to loose...stick it in the oven ( 8 mins)
putting in the oven wont really put them in a worse condition...

all three card are like that, one aint too bad tbh

the couiror was UPS but didnt do it direct it was booked thrught interparcel

hehe yer it defo was in perface condition before it left my house to evga

Safety Warning

Hey guys,

I can't believe I joined this forum just to say this, but here goes:

If these boards really were lead-soldered PCBs, be very careful about cleaning your oven once you bake your board. Ingestion of lead can have serious effects on your health, including mental deficits. That could really put a damper on the rest of your life. Try to do this in an oven not used for baking edibles.

That said, you guys rock for actually pulling this off!

If you read up on NVidia's issues with the 8xxx series chipsets and the "bump" issue where the lead solder would crack over time, it makes sense that this would work as a short- or medium-term fix. (long-term fix too? I doubt it, but possible)

If you try this trick with other products as well, be sure not to cook your board above the combustion point of paper, (to avoid igniting stickers) and remove all plastics, like on cell phones. Connectors *may* be fairly heat-resistant, but chances are anything else on your PCB isn't.

Sorry to sound like your mom, but such ingeniousness/chutzpah shouldn't be rewarded with the suck of poor health.

oopes i ate jacket potato the day after i cooked my GPU
ah well i still feel mentally stable...

Anaemia
brain damage
nervous system damage
appetite loss
abdominal pain
constipation
fatigue
sleeplessness
irritability
headache.

Im english the symptoms sound like most people from the UK #Chuckles#
and ive not even tried it yet #Laughs#

didnt see any smoke or smell any vapors from my video card when i cooked it.

im not worried. ive got a pizza stone in there right now ready to cook some turnovers. mmmmmmmmmmmmm

im trying it now on my dead zotac 285 :D

i doubt it will work but hey ya never know after seeing this :)

edit:

ok i only had it in for 6 mins, but it didnt work..

Last edited:
I might try this on a dead 9800GTX a customer brought in dead not wanting it anymore.

I have a question though.... what to do about the plastic inside the DVI ports? Won't it melt, too?

I might try this on a dead 9800GTX a customer brought in dead not wanting it anymore.

I have a question though.... what to do about the plastic inside the DVI ports? Won't it melt, too?

nah, i didnt see any smoke or smell any vapors when i baked my card.

just check it every so often to make sure nothing is melting/catching on fire...

Hey guys,

I can't believe I joined this forum just to say this, but here goes:

If these boards really were lead-soldered PCBs, be very careful about cleaning your oven once you bake your board. Ingestion of lead can have serious effects on your health, including mental deficits. That could really put a damper on the rest of your life. Try to do this in an oven not used for baking edibles.

That said, you guys rock for actually pulling this off!

If you read up on NVidia's issues with the 8xxx series chipsets and the "bump" issue where the lead solder would crack over time, it makes sense that this would work as a short- or medium-term fix. (long-term fix too? I doubt it, but possible)

If you try this trick with other products as well, be sure not to cook your board above the combustion point of paper, (to avoid igniting stickers) and remove all plastics, like on cell phones. Connectors *may* be fairly heat-resistant, but chances are anything else on your PCB isn't.

Sorry to sound like your mom, but such ingeniousness/chutzpah shouldn't be rewarded with the suck of poor health.

Thanks for reminding people to be careful but in this case I'd say you're far overstating things. The solder at most will melt to a liquid state although it shouldn't really be taken that far, should be done just enough to reflow it, it's in uncontrolled conditions. To vaprorize it and get lead deposits on the oven surface or cooking sheets would be impossible (or at least highly unlikely) in a home oven. If it gets melted long enough to drip off the board, well, that's what aluminum foil underneath would be for.

And let's not forget just using lead solder itself. I know lots of people have done electronics projects for many years with lead solder with no apparent problems. I'd wager you ingest more lead from drinking water than you could from doing this trick.

naa its fine, i dont think the temperature is hot enough to melt the plastic
just make sure you remove the heatsink, and you should be fine

Hey guys,

Just had to add my experiences!

My bit over 2 year old Gainward 8800GTX crashed from Windows with purple lines all over screen, then when started up had random horizontal static and blue lines across the screen, even in BIOS and POST. It would still boot through to Windows 7 but was stuck in 640x480 with like 4 colours. Windows would report that it had "stopped device because of an error".

On seeing this thread (and it was out of warranty) I thought I might as well give it a shot. To my amazement it totally worked, card is now (apparently) all good with no video corruption or anything. Only done light testing so far, but yeah, pretty amazing stuff!

Initially I took the heatsink/fan etc all off. Cleaned the dust, just with cloth. Cleared off the thermal paste.

I put it in oven for 10 minutes on 190*C, then let it cool down for about 15 minutes. Reapplied some thermal paste, put back together and voila!

Wish I'd known this when my x1900xt died!

hmmm my friend has a dead nVidia AGP 6600GT.
He said he would give me the card. I will try this once I have it.

i hav a nv8500gt which is now dead because of my stupidness
i was trying to open the heatsink of my card and it was soo tightly fitted
so i removed it and putted some thermal paste
and when i try to start my pc it wont start now
do u think now if i do this trick
are there any chances of working this card??
nd sorry for my bad english!!

Well thank you all for your research and your derring do!

I recently have an Nvidia 7900GS go bad on me I QQéd like you wouldn't believe but read about this over at gpureview.com

Well I figured what the hell? I threw it in the oven and it came out and also... now works. I figured the theory was sound and honestly didn't have anything to lose at that point.

So kudos and thanks!

Back