• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED THE OVEN TRICK - WORKED

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
had to put the 580 down. tried to play a quick game and had artifacting pretty bad. oh well itll make a good parts card i guess.

Just made an account here to report my baking, but I use a 200 °C heat gun instead of oven, 6 minutes for each card.

2013 R9 270x: succeed.

2010 560Ti: failed. The GPU problem was not an artifact problem, but it suddenly turns off my PC once, either, it hits 60 °C or after 15 mins of normal usage. Probably I'll try to heat gun it a little bit longer since it has wider chip than my R9 270x.

So i got an 8800gtx of ebay, and it had artifacts all over the screen, like a chessboard
Tried reflasing the bios --- still nothing
then rememberd some cases of heat fixing xbox 360's and thourght of using the oven trick on the card.

I put it in the oven for around 5 mins AND NOW IT WORKS
I seriously thourght he was joking, but i got so angry because i couldnt fix the card, i just bunged it in the oven and it worked!
Thanks for all the help!

( by the way if anyone is going to try it make sure u take all the heatsinks off first and make sure you use a PREHEATED oven set to 385F ( gass mark 6) (solder melts around 364F) )
different people left it in there for different times, most people said 6-8 mins 14 is too much

****EDIT1****
GUIDE :)
1: remove heatsink and thermal paste
2: preheat oven to 385F to 400F( NO HIGHER!) ( gas mark 6)
3: lay foil over the oven rack
4: make 4 balls of foil, about 4cm high,
5L when the oven is heated to its corrent temperature, put the graphics card on the 4 balls, one on each corner )
6: leave for around 6-10 mins, NO MORE THAN 12 OR IT WILL MELT
7: ENOJOY!!! :attn:

****EDIT 2****
THIS FIX MOSTLY DOES NOT NOT LAST FOREVER, SO DO NOT SELL THEM ON

Testimonials:

RAVANELI: but desperate to get it back I tossed it in the oven too. MIRACLE!

haste 226: i was finally able to attempt this today and im amazed! it worked. wow...if i had only known when it died...

POLARYS425: Add one more 8800GTX to the success list. I just baked it for 12-15 minutes at 385F.

ME: Stuck it in the oven for 8 mins (exactly) AND NOW IT WORKS!!!!! aaaaaa im soo hapy

DANBROKE: Sweet lord! I just did it too my cellphone that wasnt working and Walla!! It work again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG! Great trick!!

might as well give it a shot. To my amazement it totally worked, card is now (apparently) all good with no video corruption or anything

zOZ: I threw it in the oven and it came out and also... now works

BADBONJI: he didn't believe me (I gave him some links of how people have done it) and now it works again, saves him from buying another gpu for a while!

WIKING: Thank you so much, this resurected my x800xl that didnt even POST

ANOTHERSMOKE: let cool new paste and wallah! been folding when not at computer for 3 weeks

PINKGOLD This is madness!! Yesturday I had an 8800gtx that wouldn't even let my comp start if it was connected! Today after 5 mins of light baking, I have a fully functioning gpu!!

Gods_oMekone: it works! booted into windows fine. going to install some games and make sure 3d works

remember to keep the card level in the oven

Can we just simple overheat this gpu to melt those solders

Thanks, OP and all. Fixed a 780ti (EVGA NVIDIA reference board) baking it. GPU side up, 400F for 10min. Fan in convection oven can't be stopped completely so I made a aluminum foil tent to keep that dry heat off. Happy camper.

Head hurt two days. Maybe fumes? But I baked garlic bread afterwards and tasted delicious! I feel fine!
Card works great!(better actually due to new thermal compound)

Head hurt two days. Maybe fumes? But I baked garlic bread afterwards and tasted delicious! I feel fine!
Card works great!(better actually due to new thermal compound)

Yeah it's advised to open windows and use a fan of sorts to air out the fumes while baking electronics. My kitchen wreaks when I baked video cards. Pretty potent fumes too.

Back