• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm mad windows 2000 wont boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jbslow

I cant boot into windows I keep getting some error durring startup file corrupt or missing or some stupid crap. I plugged and unplugged a few fans and heard some beeps and churps rebooted and now my OS is corrupt grrr!

I cant even get into setup to reinstall or attemp to fix the OS I guess if I make a 98 bootable disk I can atleast delete partitions and reformat but I really want to save some files namely game files any idea?? HELP!!!

win 2k

You can't use the win 2k start-up disks to fix it?

Are the files you wanna save on the same partition as the OS? I always install everything on a different partition, so if I have to reinstall the OS, I never lose my files.

Re: win 2k

This is the exact message I get when I try to start windows with and without the Cd-rom -

Windows starting...

lllllll (startup progress graph)

Windows 2000 could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt :

\WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEMced startup options for windows 2000 , press f8.

You can attempt to repare this file by starting Windows 2000 setup using the original Setup floppy disk or cr-rom.
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

Have you tried booting from the install cd and selecting the Repair option?

If you accept all the defaults it usually can find the os and the repair info and replace any modified files.

I just had to do this last night: I corrupted the install while trying to push an oc a bit higher and lost a few files- worked ok.

rogerdugans said:
Have you tried booting from the install cd and selecting the Repair option?

Yes the same thing happens with or without the WIN 2000 cd installed I hear the rom speed up during reboot but still nothing.

There has to be away to force boot the cd or autorun it or something , I dont know.

The exact same thing happened to me about 4 months ago. Are you sure you can't reinstall the OS? Mine was so messed up I couldn't even repair it. I had to select to reinstall the system files only, and it worked. My registry was cleaned out, so all of my programs didn't work, but all my files were intact. Good luck to you

BTW, try using Win2000 boot disks instead of the disk

here look at this:
Microsoft Windows 2000 Recovery Console

you can get to the Recovery Console by booting with the Windows 2000 Setup floppy disks or to the Windows 2000 CD. The Recovery Console will require you to enter the password for the local administrators account if used on W2K
One of the most powerful features of the Recovery Console in Windows 2000 is the utilities fixboot and fixmbr. If the boot sector gets corrupted, it can be replaced by fixboot.

Use the W2K CD to start your computer. If you have a computer that cannot start up from a CD-ROM, use the Windows 2000 Setup disks instead.
At the Setup Notification screen, press ENTER to continue.
At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to select the option to repair a Windows 2000 installation.
When prompted to choose the type of repair or recovery option required, press R to repair a Windows 2000 installation by using the Emergency Repair Process.
Choose the type of repair option you want to use:
Press M for Manual Repair.
Press F for Fast Repair.
The Recovery Console is a console program can be launched after the Startup Setup version of the Windows 2000 operating system is booted. It is a console program that can be used to discover and fix system issues. Under the Recovery Console, you have access to the following commands:

attrib: change attributes of files
+ sets an attribute whereas - removes an attribute
r readonly attribute, s system file attribute, h hidden file attribute, c compressed file attribute
batch: execute commands specified in a text file
batch inputfile [outputfile]
where inputfile specifies text file that contains list of commands to be executed
cd: change directory operates within the system folders
chkdsk: checks parition and fixes errors
cls: clear screen
copy: copy a file; wildcards or folder copies are not allowed
del: delete a file; wildcards are not allowed
dir: displays a list of files or folders
disable: disable W2K service or driver
diskpart: manage the partitions on HD
enable: enable W2K service or driver
exit: quit the Recovery Console
expand: expand a compressed file
fixboot: write new boot sector on boot partition
fixmbr: repairs new master boot sector
format: formats a specified drive
listsvc: lists all available services, drivers, and startup types
logon: if 3 attempts to logon do not succeed, the console quits and computer restarts
map / diskpart: map & twiddle with partitions - view, create, and remove partitions
md: make folders
more: displays a text file to the screen
rd: only operates within the system folders
ren: rename a file
set: display or modify four environment options
AllowWildCards=False
AllowAllPaths=False
AllowRemovableMedia=False
NoCopyPrompt=False
systemroot: change hd root

Ok if you do ever get this sorted or if u have to reinstall you need to make what is called an ERD (emergency repair disk)

just go to the run box and type: ntbackup

then follow the prompts, with an erd, which will back up most all system files and place a link to a reg back, and with the recovery panel you have one easily recoverable OS

just update the ERD after each system change, its one floppy, and never worry

good luck

booting from cd

make sure you change the bios setting so that your cd drive boots before your hard drive. It should go from the cd then.

It_The_Cow said:

BTW, try using Win2000 boot disks instead of the disk

I was able to get into setup with the floppy disks.

Turd , like I said the diskets got me into the setup but I needed a ERD to detect and repare windows so I need to reinstall.

make sure you change the bios setting so that your cd drive boots before your hard drive. It should go from the cd then.

Dough! (the simsons are on)

This worked perfectly I didnt even need those disks I made but again it needed the ERD to detect windows so I'll have to reinstall.

Man I was doing so well in Combat Flight sim. 2 and Diablo 2 :( .

when you are in recovery there are options to do repair without the ERD, just not always sucessful
what you get is replacement of system files, back to initial install state
poke around in the RC, since you are going to fresh install anyways

Your files should stay intact. If you choose to install the system files only, it'll only replace the files in your WINNT folder. Everything else should be untouched

turd said:
when you are in recovery there are options to do repair without the ERD, just not always sucessful
what you get is replacement of system files, back to initial install state
poke around in the RC, since you are going to fresh install anyways

I did select the recover without ERD but it couldnt seem to find the 2k install it kept booting me back and giving me the option to exit or try again but after many attempts without the ERD I just gave up and deleted the partitions and reinstalled.

so you already 'fixed' it?
Just for reference I got this a couple times a couple weeks ago. It took a while for me to figure it out but after reinstalling win2k 3 times to different directories I got it.

\WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\ is a folder with a file called SYSTEM and another called SYSTEM.ALT. You needed to copy the SYSTEM.ALT to replace the corrupt SYSTEM file. After this I was able to boot that one and still use that install today.

Sorry I couldn't have helped earlier

Visidex said:
Just for reference I got this a couple times a couple weeks ago. It took a while for me to figure it out but after reinstalling win2k 3 times to different directories I got it.

\WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\ is a folder with a file called SYSTEM and another called SYSTEM.ALT. You needed to copy the SYSTEM.ALT to replace the corrupt SYSTEM file. After this I was able to boot that one and still use that install today.

Well look at that: great trick!

Welcome To the Forums!
With tricks like that one up your sleeve you'll get along well here!:D

Visidex said:

Haha I wish you could of been here yesterday too but I'm an anxious folder and I couldnt wait another minute :).

Back