• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4670 1Gb question in an older rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Marl65

So my good old trusty X1950XT has bit the dust and I've had to step down to a X300 I've had laying around that was givin to me. I've read several posts that say that a PCI 2.0 card will work in a 1.0 slot w/o any problems. I just wanted to be 100% sure of this before I go and drop the $70 for this card from the Egg. While I'm asking your opinions what are yours of this card. I really don't game much anymore except for WoW.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102855

Marl :sn:

You'll have no problems at all. The 2.0 card won't get the full bandwidth that it could in a current 2.0 slot, but it will still function properly in the 1.0 slot.

The HD 4670 is an okay card; it's no graphics juggernaut, but it's solid with fairly low power consumption numbers. If you're really after a lot of gaming here, you're better off spending the extra $30 for a 9800 GT or an HD 4850/4770.

However, if you don't have the need or want for any more than what the 4670 provides, that's not such a bad card at all. I saw they also had a 512MB version of the card for $5 cheaper if the budget is really tight. Keep in mind at the resolutions and detail settings that this card is capable of (relatively low on all counts), that extra 512MB of memory won't do you any good at all. There's absolutely no reason to buy a 1GB card of any kind that's any less capable than an HD 4850.

The 2.0 card working in a 1.0 slot is what I thought. Similar to USB 1.0 vs. 2.0. Do you know how much will the limited bandwidth of the 1.0 slot bring the 2 cards down? I have no issues spending the extra $30 on the 4770 over the 4670 but if the 1.0 slot is gonna kill the 4770 then it's not worth it. If that makes any sense at all....

Back