• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lucid Hydra, MSI Big bang Fuzion review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kuroimaho

So finally it sees the light of day.
An alternative to Crossfire or SLI and even more than those as Nvidia and Ati cards can be mixed.

Guru 3D review
Anandtech review There goes the linear scaling promise as well...

Unfortunately some of the old promises turned out to be not so true, and still crashes are common.

We also tried slightly more uncommon game like anno 1404, we made a profile but again Hydra failed. This is what you need to be aware of you guys, you'll run into heaps of limitations. The Lucid driver team has got a great challenge ahead to get as many games as possible supported. It will probably be the deciding factor for Lucid whether this product makes it or fails.

So it needs profiles, even for Ati and Nvidia it takes some time despite the latter having a huge testing facility to make profiles for their multigpu solutions, how will a much smaller lucid fare is probably what decides their solution's fate.

Last edited:
I'm very happy to see this even in the baby stages it has SOOOO much promise. I just love the idea of me being able to snag a 5850 now, and maybe later on down the line snag another ati card from say 6xxx or even a new NV card down the road. Just great technology that will only get better with time.

Hopefully Nvidia doesn't make a driver update that castrates this chip. Lots of potential here if allowed into maturity.

yeah I think a lot of the low end mixed with high end isn't really the cards themselves.

Let's also hope AMD doesn't make a driver update that messes it up :rolleyes:

I only say that because of the semi recent driver fix Nvidia implemented to prevent their cards for acting as a PhysX card when an ATI GPU is present.

But Alas, let's hope ATI doesn't break things via driver either. I think they have been pretty good lately, much better then years past. Hopefully peoples stigmas against ATI drivers will subside a bit.

I think the best move for both companies at this point would be to work with lucid on this chip extensively.

I only say that because of the semi recent driver fix Nvidia implemented to prevent their cards for acting as a PhysX card when an ATI GPU is present.

But Alas, let's hope ATI doesn't break things via driver either. I think they have been pretty good lately, much better then years past. Hopefully peoples stigmas against ATI drivers will subside a bit.

I think the best move for both companies at this point would be to work with lucid on this chip extensively.

Actually the best move for both companies is probably ignoring Hydra and letting it die due to bad driver support. I don't think there's any way the revenue stream from such a niche product can support the kind of R&D budget necessary to keep it working smoothly. That, or simply buying out Lucid and using their technology to improve Crossfire or SLI, depending who's doing the buying.

My apologies... I was overcome by a feeling of Zen and humming kumbaya for a moment there.

It's too bad... this chip has MUCH potential

With the current results it does not look like either of the gpu makers have anything to worry about, especially with the approximately 80$ what the hydra chip costs.

That can cost more than what the lastgen VGA worth in an old and new card combination.

Back