• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Streaming Blu-Ray Video across my Network..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Anubis_386

I just bought a 4x Blu-Ray Drive so I can start watching n backing up my Blu-Rays on my PC .. However, because of the watercooling radiator in my main PC I can't mount any more 5.25" drives internally. So instead of just running a SATA n power cable outside of my case, or getting an e-SATA enclosure I'd like to stick the drive in my 'Home Server'.

All of the machines in my house are hooked up to a Gigabit Network (NICs, Switch & Router) via Cat6 .. So would it be possible to stream a Blu-Ray across the network to my main PC (with a HDCP monitor) so I can watch it ..?

If this is possible, what needs to be done? Both my Home Server n Main PC are on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

I've then got another related question .. What's the best software for backing up my films to a 14GB, 1080p res file with 5.1 sound ..

Any help/input much appreciated! Cheeers guys :beer:

You can share the optical drive on the network. Blu-ray is max 54Mbps so you could even play it over a 100Mb network. 4x is 144Mbps though so I guess you get to use your gigabit setup for ripping.

For the decrypting part you will need AnyDVD HD. For encode I go command line all the way, but if you want a easy GUI you can use Ripbot264.

BTW, 14GB is way overkill for a backup. You can easily drop it below 10GB and still have transparent results (ie you can't see or hear a difference). Unless you have to meet a specific size requirement it is better to do a crf encode than to target a size.

PS. Here is a dirty little secret about blu-ray: Most of the movies you can drop down to 720p and then just scale it back up at playback without loosing anything because the masters the blu-rays were made of don't have enough details to really need 1080p. The exception usually being CGI that has been rendered at high res.

Yes, AnyDVD can rip the Blu-Ray to the hard drive. As for Handbreak, I have looked at it; it was nice, but doesn't support Blu-Ray.

O rite .. A couple other questions.. What file format are you left with after using AnyDVD HD to rip the Blu-Ray? and can RipBot create chapters within the video file as well as subtitles that can be turned on/off?

Thanks for all your help man, tis much appricated! :beer:

What file format are you left with after using AnyDVD HD to rip the Blu-Ray?
You get the Blu-Ray folder structure and files, same as is on the disc. Mostly a bunch of weirdly named folders and mpls and m2ts files.
and can RipBot create chapters within the video file as well as subtitles that can be turned on/off?
Yes, at least for mkv files. I don't know if it can do chapters for mp4.

I've come across a bit of a problem when i go to actually watch a blu-ray across my network. The version of PowerDVD that came with it doesn't see my network shared drive as a drive .. It just acts as a HDD within windows.. When I put the blu-ray drive in my machine it works fine tho.

Are you using AnyDVD HD? If not, I guess the problem could be the DRM. Also, I remember something about PowerDVD dropping support for playing blu-ray folders, which is what the network share would look like.

Nah I wasn't using AnyDVD HD, I thought I just needed it for ripping the discs .. When I get home I'll put the drive back in my server with AnyDVD HD running and see what it ses ..

Are you aware of any software that does support blu-ray playback from a folder?

Cheers Mr. Alpha! :beer:

I think TotalMedia Theater supports playing the folder, but I can't get it to run on my machine so I don't know for certain. Nero used to be able to do it but a quick google claims they have dropped the support for that as well. So the war against Blu-Ray backup marches on.

Also, I think you would have to install AnyDVD HD on the machine with the Blu-Ray drive.

Back