• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Not sure if it's hardware or software at this point...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TransformedBG

I have been ripping a lot of my movies to my plex server as of late. When I'm ripping them, I'm using MakeMKV, and DVD's everything comes out fine. However, the problem occurs when I try and rip my Blu-rays, when i go to play back parts of them start looking scrambled like trying to watch a naughty channel on the cable box as a kid. On the flip side I tried another program I had (VideSolo) and ripped Lossless and it did the same thing. But if I rip it using compression (Hq1080p) the playback is just fine no scramble. So, I figured I would try a different computer all together and got the same issue. (Only thing in common is the video cards). I tried swapping the Blu-ray player same thing. Reloading windows, updating MakeMKV etc. No luck. I'm beginning to think my hardware isn't capable of keeping up anymore.

Current Computer (need to upgrade eventually)
intel 4790k (no oc)
16gb ddr 3 1600
asus z97-ar mobo
EVGA 1080 GTX

Alternate computer
intel 7700
32 GB ddr 4 2400
EVGA 1080 GTX
MSI pro B660M-A

Possibly running out of decoder? That being the case I would probably need to upgrade my hardware (i figured this is invadable the way windows is going)? If so any suggestions? would this be more video card related than cpu? I kind of figured if i was going to upgrade I'm Gunna go AMD this time around, just not sure which processor or video card i would go with.

Attachments

• playback error.JPG
    playback error.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 2
I am not sure how makeMKV handles the file size, but it seems it could be some compression setting in and killing the quality. I have seen that with divx rips and you can also see it in certain scenes even on cable tv

i wouldnt think that it would be running out of anything if it worked before.
i'd test your ram and your card outside of transcoding. memtest i guess for ram and the furry donut of doom with artifact counter turned on for the card and see what happens.

oh and disk space? is your ripped movie drive very full?

i wouldnt think that it would be running out of anything if it worked before.
i'd test your ram and your card outside of transcoding. memtest i guess for ram and the furry donut of doom with artifact counter turned on for the card and see what happens.

oh and disk space? is your ripped movie drive very full?
no i have a drive dedicated to ripping so not out of drive space. Once it's ripped it is moved off...

I am not sure how makeMKV handles the file size, but it seems it could be some compression setting in and killing the quality. I have seen that with divx rips and you can also see it in certain scenes even on cable tv
Ive tried multiple settings still getting the same issue. Like i said i have to run compression on it to get it to play normal, just when I rip it at default quality it does it.

Im really thinking its probably the video card holding me back. but if im gunna upgrade that might as well build a new system.

Back