• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ok, another fan dilemma. Need some input.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
First of all its a HAF 932. The whole back of the computer (And the top and front and sides) are a "Grill". I have resolved the problem by pointing the heatsink upwards towards the 200mm Fan. It can move more air. I then replaced the rear fan with a Noctua NF-P12 and put another in the bottom. My temps are fine, I was just concerned with having a forceful blast of air against another fan that could not turn as fast.

The only downside of pointing the Heatsink upwards is that it pulls hot air off of the video cards, but I guess this can also be considered a plus. With the extra fan at the bottom of the case, I am also pulling a lot more air into the case.

DSCN0546.JPG

You can't see it, but there is also a noctua in the bottom of the case blowing up towards the Video Cards. And a 200mm in Coolermaster in the top as an exhaust.

Last edited:
Increasing the ful case airflow was your biggest change. If you went back to what you had before, and had a temp probe for case temps, and what you have now, you would go OMG......

Increasing the ful case airflow was your biggest change. If you went back to what you had before, and had a temp probe for case temps, and what you have now, you would go OMG......

Are you saying it would be a lot worse or better?

Having more airflow through the case reduces case temps. Meaning lower case temps, closer to the ambient room temps. Kinda basic. Don't have the time to get into thermodynamics. Think about it.........

Better cooling....................

Push? Where? In what direction? Most of us put a push fan on the front side of our cpu cooler, and sometimes we put a pull fan on the back of our cooler. Occasionally people reverse the direction. If that's you, then a push fan in the back is fine. But still, delete the grill.

Sorry, I meant to quote jivetrky and you. I had combined both your posts in my head as I was reading too fast. It looks like he has a single pull fan, but I would think a single push and then an exhaust fan mounted to the rear of the case would be better.

Sorry, I meant to quote jivetrky and you. I had combined both your posts in my head as I was reading too fast. It looks like he has a single pull fan, but I would think a single push and then an exhaust fan mounted to the rear of the case would be better.

But in my case I don't really think the rear 120mm fan does much good when I have 2x 140mm just above it.

I don't know if there is actually any validity to my belief, but I think that a pull fan should possibly move more air than a push fan, when under restriction.
I don't know that it is actually true, but in my mind it is :)

...and I was speaking generically about the 2x140 in close proximity to the other exhaust. I must have missed something.

I cant explain why, I can only regurgitate what I have seen on the net, but PUSH is generally better than pull.

Having more airflow through the case reduces case temps. Meaning lower case temps, closer to the ambient room temps. Kinda basic. Don't have the time to get into thermodynamics. Think about it.........

Better cooling....................

You misunderstood what I was asking and your response is a little condescending. I thought you were making a comment about the change fro horizontal to vertical heat-sink/fan orientation.

I think what Conumdrum meant to say is that any increase in fans will aid in cooling benefits.

As for the orientation of the fans, there are some pros and cons to my current set up.

The biggest con is that the fresh air being fed to the HSF is being pulled over the Video Cards. BUT, the video cards have their own exhaust and I am feeding the video cards their own fresh air with a High CFM/Static Pressure Noctua NF-P12. There is also a NF-P12 on the rear to exhaust most of the hot air.

The pro to this set up is that hot air rises, therefore the hot air is easier to push out the top. Additionally, bigger fans move more air, so I have a 200mm CM Case fan in the top of the case. This should be more than enough to cool my set up.

@4100MHz and 1.45V vcore, my processor runs at 81 degrees maxed load on P95 with ambient temps around 20-22 degrees celcius.

Ummm, if it reaches 86 degrees fahrenheit in my appartment with the PC running at full load, I probably need to call the complex maint. to fix my AC. For me, 22-24 degrees ambient is too warm. Thanx for the heads up though.

I wish my 860 did 4Ghz at 1.28V :(

Thanks for reminding me. That wasn't as stable as I thought.

Heh, even 1.31 is not bad. Mine needs 1.38V to be stable at 400 OC.

And would you care to share your IMC Volts? Mine need 1.41V@ 4100MHz

I am at work ATM, but Vdimm is 1.620v, and runs 1.616v on load. Is this IMC? The memory is G.Skill Ripjaws F3-16000CL9D-4GBRH, DDR3 2000.

Vtt = 1.19v, IIRC. Since absolute max is 1.21v, I am uncomfortable with this, but I will not try lower Vtt's until I am done with my current series of fan tests. Since that will be 110+ sets of 40-minute runs, it will be a while.

PLL = 1.88v, IIRC. PCH = 1.12v or so - an exact setting of 1.10v is not available on my mb.

HTH.

Yeah IMC=Vtt.

My processor will not run stable on less than 1.3. It might have something to do wtih my Ram though.

Back