• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Free registry cleaner

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wathnix

Is there a good, totally free registry cleaner out there? I do a lot of repairs for friends and co-workers and I would like to be able to run a registry cleaner on their computer but I don't want to pay for it since I don't charge much if anything at all for my services to begin with. I've looked at some "Free" products that you in one way or another end up having to activate and pay for. Is there anything good out there that is totally free?

Thanks

Is there a reason you need to clean up the registry? Unless it is causing issues, you don't really need to do maintenance on it. That being said, CCleaner has one built in.

The problem with the reg is that many entries are left behind after each uninstall (no matter what you do). I have never found the perfect solution to this. Eusing has one, & CCleaner has one. I use neither as Windows 7 Mgr (not free) can scan hd & reg for each uninstall. I think a combo of manual & automatic works the best. Why doesn't linux have this problem?

Sometimes registry cleaners do more harm than good so be careful. With that said, the ccleaner one appears to do a good job.

I have never used one for any of my PC's ever and they are rock solid performers.

There are others but I have not tried them all (go figure). There are so many entries that will be in some gibberish code that it is verily impossible to clean it prefectly.
I'm sure you heard of erunt. It's good for the backup and compressing. I haven't used it either lately.
This is an accidental dp

For XP and vista I use XP Manager or Vista Manager, respectively. They are made by Yamicsoft. Its a 15day trial program, but running it at least once, and using their tools I've improved system performance on bloated Windows PCs.

The problem with the reg is that many entries are left behind after each uninstall (no matter what you do). I have never found the perfect solution to this. Eusing has one, & CCleaner has one. I use neither as Windows 7 Mgr (not free) can scan hd & reg for each uninstall. I think a combo of manual & automatic works the best.
Do these extra keys cause problems? I have never heard of an issue stemming from that. The only issue is that it has to take a little bit more memory to hold the registry hive, but we are talking a couple hundred megabytes for thousands of entries.

Why doesn't linux have this problem?
Because linux doesn't use a registry. Better design. ;)

ok, thanks everyone for the help. I should have posted a little more detail. Often when I fix a friends computer it has had multiple spyware infestations and also lots of bloatware left over from the manufacturer (Dell, HP) and I notice the computers boot and run slowly even after being cleaned out with antispyware/antivirus so I'm hoping that a cleaning of the registry will help

ok, thanks everyone for the help. I should have posted a little more detail. Often when I fix a friends computer it has had multiple spyware infestations and also lots of bloatware left over from the manufacturer (Dell, HP) and I notice the computers boot and run slowly even after being cleaned out with antispyware/antivirus so I'm hoping that a cleaning of the registry will help

well u can use ccleaner to delete temp and cache files (where spyware is usually). also there is an uninstall programs section to removethe bloatware. then theres another section where you can manage/disable startup programs during bootup.

then after all that use their defragging program (Defraggler).

There is regscrubxp for XP by mS. Win 7 seems ok without any reg cleaning but I always install Startup CPL so that I can disable anything I don't want to run on it's own from startup. It adds a computer icon in the control panal that gives you cointrol of hidden processes that programs install as well as OEM stuff.

i only use regcleaners after i fix a customer's pc and clean it up of malware of all types. I found that if i don't, much malware nowadays will insert registry entries that look for the malware, and if it doesn't find it, redownloads it.

i only use regcleaners after i fix a customer's pc and clean it up of malware of all types. I found that if i don't, much malware nowadays will insert registry entries that look for the malware, and if it doesn't find it, redownloads it.

I've actually had that same thing happen to me when working on clients machines. As for what I use, I have always had good luck with ccleaner. The general cleanup features are also nice and save me a little time when cleaning up a clients computer.

I use the Auslogic it is free and i find it works and does what is says it does, although i have not tried any other free Reg cleaners so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Back