• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

powerdvd 9 ultra choppy bluray playback

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grishenko45

hi all,

i've now mysteriously got choppy playback on pdvd9 ultra!! was fine last time i played one - now all choppy with choppy sound to!

i've done nothing to my system appart from install a few games and the usual stuff like new tunes etc...

its even choppy with dvds - but when i use either vlc player or blaze dvd they are fine!

i went on cyber links website and looked in the knowledge base - and my problem is called "powerdvd bug" which just gives choppy play back - ive sent them my dxdiag and my pdvd settings and am still waiting...

which other bluray software is pretty good? with no issues in XP???

have you had the same problem?

thanks

hmmmmm.... I'm thinking that you may have something hogging resources in your computer such as malware or maybe just too many updates. Do CTRL+ALT+DELETE, click on task manager and click on PERFORMANCE then tell me what it says for the different memory stats and what percentage your CPU is running at when idle and what it's running at when playing blu-ray. Also what kind of CPU and video card do you have?

hi - when playing a bluray - when it was fine, my cpu was a 20%
i have a Q9650 @ 4.3Ghz and a GTX285 SSC EVGA
i'll do loads of malware/spyware/virus scans this weekend and let you know.

i've even installed the PDVD patch! that didn't help.

XP sucks really! I neen WIN7!!

XP is good, just not terribly modern. If you wish to move to Windows 7 then you might want to consider the Microsoft Student Discount. Basically if you or someone in your family is a student with access to an e-mail address ending in .edu then you can get windows 7 for $29.95

I got it for my computers and it works great, it says it is the upgrade version, but you can use the 'custom install' option during setup to do a clean install which works even as a fresh install on all new hardware. I highly recommend burning the .iso to a DVD then doing a fresh install. You should buy the 64 bit version. visit the site here

http://www.microsoft.com/student/en/us/software/windows.aspx

Sooo Powerdvd doesnt take use hardware aacceleration? Thats a lot of CPU use for a DVD/BR playback...

Your video card should support either dxva for ati or cuda for nvidia. I know vlc supports neither and I doubt blaze does as well. On the other hand, mpc does by default. I use Lord muldeR's mplayer which is portable and also has an autoupdate exe which is more than I can say for all the others. It works superb for me regardless of my codecs & much better than mpc. I have no codecs installed and have completely disabled wmp too.
http://mulder.dummwiedeutsch.de/home/?page=projects
I've used power and consider it bloatware.
There is also the win7 filter tweaker a free standalone exe which may help. Who knows.

What kind of videocard are you using in the system, because you do actually a semi decent one to do bluray.

idle cpu usage is between1-3% i played a blueray lastnight just to check on %'s and it was 20% - with nothing else running - but was still choppy!

done malware/spyware/virus scans - nothing on pc. all defragged n cleaned up - still choppy!

i've emailed Cyberlink with my dxdiag like they said and my pdvd settings - got nothing back from them!

i've gone through all my settings to check nothing could be on that shouldn't be - i've not changed anything manually - so can't see why it's suddenly broken!

Your video card should support either dxva for ati or cuda for nvidia. I know vlc supports neither and I doubt blaze does as well. On the other hand, mpc does by default. I use Lord muldeR's mplayer which is portable and also has an autoupdate exe which is more than I can say for all the others. It works superb for me regardless of my codecs & much better than mpc. I have no codecs installed and have completely disabled wmp too.
http://mulder.dummwiedeutsch.de/home/?page=projects
I've used power and consider it bloatware.
There is also the win7 filter tweaker a free standalone exe which may help. Who knows.

Does this come with blu-ray support by default? I tried to play a bluray using this program the other night as I would love to use something other then powerdvd, but I had no luck.

hey guys, i've fixed the problem....i created a separate program rule for PDVD 9 ultra in nvidia control panel, program settings. then i specified the gpu for cuda, as before it was on default, which i think didn't "engage" the gpu as it should. i also told it i had multicores and was running on single display performance mode.

i can play blurays perfectly now, cpu usage whilst playing bluray, gone down to 13% (more like it!).

i found this out with using the latest version of GPU-Z, it tells you your gpu usage (mem usage, all other usages etc...as most of you know) and when i had the choppy bluray playback, then gpu was just idling it wasn't doing anything. So that's when i set indiviual program rules and playback is as usual. The gpu is now "busy" according to GPU-Z and the cpu isn't @ 30% anymore - it's back to 13%!

funny the people at cyberlink didn't have a clue!

Back