• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Document Software

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EmTSea19

Hi, I have Windows 7, and I need software to do invoices and other forms. I want to be able to make each document individual, so I need to be able to type certain parts of the form. Which is better, Foxit PDF Editor for $99 or Microsoft Office Home & Business? or?

I had to e-mail an invoice today...I scanned a blank invoice, turned it into PDF, and used Foxit's trial version. Only problem, it had the logo in red at the top saying it was a trial version and it couldn't be removed. Okay for one invoice, but I have to make them more professional.

Any recommendations appreciated, Thanks.

You can also create a template in OpenOffice & edit it as necessary. Either the word processor or spreadsheet program. We use both types at work. The nice thing about using a spreadsheet is you can assign formulas to different rows, columns, &/or tables and let it do the math for you (Office docs with forms/calcs import perfectly into Oo_Org). On top of that, it's free.

If you want to just work with a scanned document, Photoshop or any other feature rich image editing program should work.

You can also create a template in OpenOffice & edit it as necessary. Either the word processor or spreadsheet program. We use both types at work. The nice thing about using a spreadsheet is you can assign formulas to different rows, columns, &/or tables and let it do the math for you (Office docs with forms/calcs import perfectly into Oo_Org). On top of that, it's free.

If you want to just work with a scanned document, Photoshop or any other feature rich image editing program should work.

Thanks, I will check Open Office out.

Other options:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfedit/

You'd need to install cygwin to use it on windows however. Here's a basic description from one of the commentors on there, and I've used cygwin and its worked well for me in the past to run linux stuff on windows:

For use on Windows: 1. Install cygwin from http://www.cygwin.com/. During setup you will be asked to Select Packages. Expand the X11 category then scroll towards the end and select packages qt3 and xinit. 2) Copy the PDFedit files to the directory C:\cygwin\usr\local or where you installed cygwin. Go to your Windows start menu and take the new entry cygwin-x. Use this to start the x-windows server. From the command line on the server window, type pdfedit and hit enter. Your working directory where you can place pdfs will be C:\cygwin\home\YOURNAME.

BTW, I'd use a spreadsheet do to invoicing for the reasons stated above - it lets you calculate and do cool stuff easier, rather than manually filling out fields all the time. You can do it manually too, but if the time comes to get fancier or calculate things automatically, the spreadsheet will be easiest.

Back