• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED default program different when opening file from a rar archive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

medo145

I use MPC HC to play video files. i had some issues, so i uninstalled mpc hc and then reinstalled it.

it works fine when i open a file, but if i open a video file from within a rar file, it opens up with wmp.

any ideas on how to make it open with mpc hc when opening a video file from within a rar?

thanks

Media player classic home cinema opens up non archived video files. Win7 ultimate 64 bit.

Mpc hc also opens up video files if i open them from within 7-zip.

if i open an archive with winrar, the wmp icon shows up on the file, where as the os and 7zip show the mpc hc icon.

not exactly the solution i was looking for

edit:

found a solution, went to the set program access and computer defaults, unchecked the box that says enable access to this program next to windows media player.

another weird thing is that if you change the viewer options in winrar to ask instead of associated program, it shows mpc-hc64.exe as the associated program and when you click it it still opens with wmp. strange

Last edited:
found an even better solution, at least for me

go to

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.avi

change the value of the (Default) sting

from WMP11.AssocFile.AVI to mplayerc.avi

Back