• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my PSU at its limit?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

freeagent

Hi guys,

I was curious if maybe my psu was at its limit? Its a Corsair TX-850.

With my i7 at 4ghz with around 1.4v, and a slight overclock on my 295 and 8800gt folding away, according to my Zalman ZM-MFC2 I am pulling close to 700w, and my psu is pretty warm heheh. Its not hot, but I know its working hard.. I should probably think of getting a new psu soon hmm?

Or am I being paranoid?

Paranoid thinks me.

How the heck does a fan controller have any idea how much wattage you are using?

Well, first you plug your computer into it like so:

The thicker wire goes to the psu, the thinner wire goes to a pci bracket, the pci bracket has a wire that then goes to the controller, its the white plug beside the molex, sorry for the blur:

Wich results in this:

It also has thermal probes, but I dont have them installed atm, thats why it says no :)

Edit:

Its sensitive enough to see diff clock speeds, or even if you plug a fan in, you can see it go up a lil

That is sweet! I figured it was guestimating.

I still think your PSU is good to go though. :D

you also have to take into consideration that the 700w is from the wall not the PSU. even without that you have a 150w cushion.

Well its running just fine, 295 is in the low to mid 70s, cpu is in the high 60s low 70s bustig away at a big 6900, everything is warm :D

It is kind of sweet eh? I walked into my brick and mortar a couple of years ago looking to spend some money on stuff I didnt need, and bam, there it was! I had to have it. I was kind of surprised not to see very many people useing them. Heck my e8600 system only eats 190-250w lol

Now, 700w from the wall, is that different from actual system consuption? To e it said if Im pulling 700w, then thats what Im useing? Sorry I am terrible with math :)

Back