• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is My PSU On Its Way Out?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

I have a OCZ Fatality 750w modular PSU it's 11 maybe 12 years old I first bought it when I built my Intel 2600k back in 2010 (ish) now its powering up my new Ryzen rig below I've just bought a new second monitor to go dual set up, my rig below as been working since last year perfectly fine. I can play games do everything I need I've never had a power failure where it would shut down during heavy loads nothing like that, but about 1 hr ago I went to play a game and I had coil whine but after a while it went away it was defo coming from the PSU but don't know it's the fan inside or direct coils from the PSU.

Anyway I went on a facebook group to ask for advice and the reply was to check the 12+ rail on the PSU with HWINFO64 which I did while the game was active on my gaming screen and the program was running on 2nd it reported below in the picture he said it's on its way out and I should buy a new PSU

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1640615634508.jpg
    FB_IMG_1640615634508.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 7
Facebook group.......... check with software........... yikes. Glad you came back here!! The best way to check is through a multi-meter not software. Confirm that value through hardware. That said, ATX spec is 5%. So up to 12.6V is good and down to 11.4V is also still considered "in spec".

But, it wasn't a great quality PSU to start with (wasn't trash) and it's 11+ years old. Regardless what that says, I would be looking for another PSU sooner than later for sure.

Facebook group.......... check with software........... yikes. Glad you came back here!! The best way to check is through a multi-meter not software. Confirm that value through hardware. That said, ATX spec is 5%. So up to 12.6V is good and down to 11.4V is also still considered "in spec".

But, it wasn't a great quality PSU to start with (wasn't trash) and it's 11+ years old. Regardless what that says, I would be looking for another PSU sooner than later for sure.
What PSU would recommend would have to be fully modular because of case but I cant afford a new one right now

Yep, that's in my link above too! I ended up with the 850W Titanium for a bit more on Black Friday week.

Would a Corsair RM750 80+ Gold Fully Mod PSU be good enought for my rig I've seen it down to £75

Yeah that would be fine as well
Could I ask what would my rig fully use under load like an estimated guess would a 650w PSU be ok I only went for 750 when I built my 2600k because it was going for a great deal and fully mods back then were very expensive at 750w

Assuming it's the one in your signature, maybe around 500W under full load. I think that the 750W is a good sweet spot as it leaves room for a possible more power-hungry video card or CPU and should keep things in the sweet spot for efficiency curve purposes for the power supply.

I wouldn't go lower than 650W. This allows you headroom for overclocking and a more powerful GPU. I don't imagine your system to pull more than 400-450W or so, even overclocked. But if in the future you're looking at a 300W+ GPU, you may want to go 750W. A PSU is not the place to cheap out or go light on. ;)

The RM PSUs are also "OK" quality. Not great, not potatoes. ;)

I wouldn't go lower than 650W. This allows you headroom for overclocking and a more powerful GPU. I don't imagine your system to pull more than 400-450W or so, even overclocked. But if in the future you're looking at a 300W+ GPU, you may want to go 750W. A PSU is not the place to cheap out or go light on. ;)

The RM PSUs are also "OK" quality. Not great, not potatoes. ;)
At this moment in time I just need something that will be safer than the current one if it's bad, I was going to go for this one if it will let me just plays games etc I dont OC I dont need to and I won't be getting anything new GPU wise when I do I'll be building a new system and giving this one to my fiance

I wouldn't worry too much about it being 'safe'. If you start having problems, go get another. But it isn't a POS PSU that will take out your system if it fails. ;)

Yes. And MUCH higher quality than the Corsair RM series. You're looking at average versus Tier 1. ;)

I wouldn't worry too much about it being 'safe'. If you start having problems, go get another. But it isn't a POS PSU that will take out your system if it fails. ;)
What does POS stand for I'm not that well exp in PSU I would just got for Mod/Fully Mod and a certain wattage, I can game and do what I need on the current PSU I just hear a whine noise I wish I could upload the video to let you hear it but I've never had a power cut from it ever since I passed it across to my new build below

I will save for that one then

Back