• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win 7 antivirus etc software recommendations?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theocnoob

R3F (mobo) comes with Kaspersky AV. Anything else I should consider?

System will never see a pron site (let's be honest :thup:). Have a second system for that. So "Medium Risk" use. Forums, gaming, youtube, netflix... BluRay playback (VLC? No? Thoughts?) that's about it.

"Main" system will still be a WIN XP machine. This Win 7 pc is for noob pwning mainly. How's the stock firewall on 7? Is it still 3 inches from garbage like the XP FW?

The Windows 7 firewall is actually pretty good. I use it along with the Comodo firewall free, but it's not really needed. + Firewall on my router of course.

A lot of people recommend MSE these days for Win7, which is what I use. I also run the occasional scan with Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware.

Just an FYI, asking for recommendations of AV/Firewall/Browser/Car brand/Phone mfg/Gender Preference/Etc will get you lots of opinions. Unfortunately, it's up to you to decide what you do and don't like.

Also, no AV is 100%, so I'd suggest trying different ones (free, trials, etc) and see what you like. While, for example, I like (and use, and pay for) ESET/NOD32, it may not be the AV for you. ;)

OK, I'll get off the soap box :p

MSE just works. No muss, no fuss. Set-it-and-forget-it.

About the only other one I'd recommend is Avira, but it seems that the work around for stopping the pop-up adverts in it to buy the premium version doesn't work anymore... and I hate popups... LOL.

Kapersky is good, but I imagine after 90 days or a year it will complain you need to pay for updates so you may want to consider a free one like MSE. Really it doesn't matter so long as you are using an AV period. Just pick one of the top 10 you hear people talk about.

Personally I use MSE.

i use kaspersky antivirus and windows firewall.
but I have used MSE in the past other people's PCs and it did an outstanding job.

About the only other one I'd recommend is Avira, but it seems that the work around for stopping the pop-up adverts in it to buy the premium version doesn't work anymore...

Any idea when that started? I installed it on a machine last night and the fix worked, but it might be an older installer I used... I'll have to check version numbers and such.

Microsoft Security Essentials HANDS DOWN.... so easy, so light, and works DAMN GOOD. Best of all its free and updated very often.

Personally i dont use any AV, but i have MSE installed on the parents comps, as well as a buddy who was ALWAYS getting viruses... i havnt had to redo their computer since i put MSE on it over a year ago !!!

I prefer MSE, I use to like AVG, but it missed some that MSE found. I know none are perfect, but MSE sets up easy, is free and unlike most it isn't a resource hog (Can't believe I'm saying that about a MS product).

As for Spyware, I use Malware Bytes, Spyware Doctor (Free version downloaded from Google tools) and SuperAntiSpyware, probably overkill, but I use them all.

As for Spyware, I use Malware Bytes, Spyware Doctor (Free version downloaded from Google tools) and SuperAntiSpyware, probably overkill, but I use them all.

Three might be a bit overkill, but I do think it's a good idea to use both Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware... each seems to pick up on things the other doesn't.

Back