• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Picking a power supply

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kitty2Kat

Registered
This is going to be my new system:
Motherboard ASUS M489GTD/AMD890GX
Case is going to be IN Win Dragon Rider
Graphic Card: XFX Radeon HD 5570
Hard Drive Western Digital Black Caviar 2 TB
and so now I need help picking a Power Supply to support this
I'm thinking Corsair 750W or Commander 750W
will be running Linux most of the time and need the space for running WOW (World of WarCraft)
I've tried to get onto AMD site and can't get thru for a listing of certified power supplies can someone list these for me, please

+1 from that list. As far as AMD v Intel on PSU's, it simply doesnt matter. All the connections are the same.

Corsair 550VX would be a superb choice. You do not need close to 750W PSU, in fact you could get a corsair CX400 or vx 450 and be juuust fine on that PC as listed.

+1 from that list. As far as AMD v Intel on PSU's, it simply doesnt matter. All the connections are the same.

Corsair 550VX would be a superb choice. You do not need close to 750W PSU, in fact you could get a corsair CX400 or vx 450 and be juuust fine on that PC as listed.

E.D.,

My son has been running that little CX400 for about a year for a home server E7500. What a nice quiet little unit! :thup:

Thank You for your replies, getting the psu was getting complicated.
However, there was a video review of Corsair psu and it stated that it did not support CrossFire X, so that's why I was wanting to look at the AMD certified psu, CrossFire X is on the MB and GC.
I know this is also a sata6 MB with a sata 6 supported HD, but will only get up to sata3 which is still pretty fast machine. and I have Cambridge speakers.
But back to picking a psu, I'm in Texas and for about 5 months in the year will have all the fans going 24/7 and need the power to keep them up on the In Win Dragonrider case...will the Corsair 550W support Crossfire X and running the fans 24/7???
I think the review of Corsair was by Techguy, was Tech something...
Any and all help is appreciated...

A 5570 is a very low power use card. I think its around 50W load. 2 of those is 100W. If you overclock, maybe 125W total. CPU you didnt list or I missed it, but lets assume its a 125W TDP. Give that 200W for overclocking (which is WAY high likely). Thats 325W, fans are nothing, (10W but likely less, look on the fan for its W/Amperage rating).

As far as CrossfireX support, just make sure you have enough power connectors, but with that GPU, I dont think it even needs any. So again, Corsair 550VX.

However, there was a video review of Corsair psu and it stated that it did not support CrossFire X, so that's why I was wanting to look at the AMD certified psu, CrossFire X is on the MB and GC.

That will be news to a few thousand members here running Crossfire with their Corsairs.........and as Earthdog said, if you have the connectors, you can Crossfire, SLI, anything you want up to the capacity of your power supply.

As the great Oklahoma Wolf said, Nvidia will certify a shoebox. That means those certs mean nothing. Power is power so long as there are enough connectors.

@ RT - Most of my client builds are CX400 rigs an no complaints yet! :)

@ RT - Most of my client builds are CX400 rigs an no complaints yet! :)

My CX400 was my "backup" for here but I "loaned" it to my son while his Antec was RMA'd. He fell in love with it so I can kiss it goodbye! :rolleyes: :)

Will Probably be getting the AMD processor with Linux supports (sorry I was half asleep when I wrote this originally only had 1 hour sleep last night my error) , so the Corsair 550VX should be good. will look into it...Thanks for the help,
My daughter uses a Mac laptop, with Snow Leopard, She's in College and it'll do, Kids eh...

Last edited:
Any thoughts about the Silverstone strider plus 500w psu?
I want to go modular, but not many units on your list in 500- 650w, can you tests more units?

Any thoughts about the Silverstone strider plus 500w psu?
I want to go modular, but not many units on your list in 500- 650w, can you tests more units?

They don't get any better than this one:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=202

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=169

You can also look for a Corsair HX520, HX620, but they are out of production and most smaller modulars are being replaced by the manufactuers with larger modular units.

You can buy anything you want and send it to our Oklahoma Wolf for testing. He would be pleased to do that for you! :thup:

Thanks Rolling Thunder, I'll look at those and....
Yes, even as we speak Corsair has new power supplies at CES 2011, planning to come out this year, I guess I might have to wait a few months.
CES (Consumes Electronic Show) in the USA, ends tomorrow 9 January 2011 and I hope this website will be the first to review the new stuff, even previewed new cases, & speakers by Corsair...
oh the case I'm getting by IN Win has 1- 220mm fan, placement of 11-120mm fans and a fan behind the cpu that cools the motherboard and has set up for liquid cooling, not sure if I'll do liquid cooling.

and I'm going to go with the KingWin Lazer Platinum LZP 550W Power supply, yeah, that's over...but my printer just died bummer...So KingWin PSU Thanks, Y'all....Appreciated the help...the KingWin will support the crossfire on the motherboard and the graphics card...nice....

and I'm going to go with the KingWin Lazer Platinum LZP 550W Power supply, yeah, that's over...but my printer just died bummer...So KingWin PSU Thanks, Y'all....Appreciated the help...the KingWin will support the crossfire on the motherboard and the graphics card...nice....

This Seasonic is nearly the same class and cheaper, fully modular whereas the Kingwin is not fully modular:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151098

About a $25 difference after shipping.

Back