• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Power Supply Makes a Buzzing Noise on Load?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Twisted4000

I don't know how long it's been doing this, but just recently I noticed my power supply emits sort of a buzzing noise when I game, when the graphics happen (like clockwork, for example, when I play StarCraft II, when I'm on the animated menu, it buzzes. But as soon as a loading screen appears, the buzzing stops. And then when it's done loading and the game begins and the graphics are present, the buzzing begins again). I don't know if it sounds more like a vibrating noise, or a static-like noise, I'm not really sure what it is but it could be either or. It is a Corsair CX Series CX750M 750w. Any ideas or if this is cause of concern at all? Thanks.

OS - Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Chassis - CoolerMaster MasterCase MC500
Motherboard - Asus Maximus VI Hero
Processor - Intel i7 4771 @ 3.5GHz (Quad-Core)
Memory - 32GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
Video - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Super
Storage - 1x OCZ 128GB SSD (OS Installed), 1x WD 500GB SSD, 2x Seagate SATA 1TB HDD @ 7,200rpm, 2.628 TB Total
Power Supply - Corsair CX Series CX750M 750w
WiFi - Intel Dual Band 7265 802.11ac
Heatsink - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO w/ Pull Fan

Yeah.. not much you can do about it. Grab a new one and use that as a known good reserve.

If I may also with a questn...when overclocking harder, I run cinebench r20 and hear a pump starting to slow down when bench begins and then computer turns off.

X58 era system retrofitted with hexa xeon.
750w psi
Asus p6t del v1
Gtx460
3 hard drives(2hdd, 1ssd)
LEDs
Single fan AIO

The slow dwn is not like brrrr....d, but you hear a tone change when benchmark starts crunching. I'm also getting almost limited on temps as well at that point.

Do I need 1000watt psi? Or is it more motherboard limited?
(do I need new computer?)

Oh yeah, it pegs the limit during stressing way before voltage becomes a problem, but on short benches I like to pump a little extra and then power goes poff, and like someone pulled the plug. Usually 4.4ghz or 1.49vcore, whichever comes first. Fans start to dim and couple seconds later it happens.

Back