• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Error 41 When PC Goes Idle

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Twisted4000

So for a few weeks now, and this has only happened whenever I left the computer and shut the monitors off, when I get back on and the monitors turn on again, I just get black screens. I have to restart the computer, Windows says it was not shut down correctly, and in the event viewer I get error 41. So far I have yet to see it do this while I'm actually doing anything on it, again, it only happens when the computer goes idle and I try to get back on.

The only change I've made to the system recently was the fact that I tweaked my NVIDIA settings to one specific game, but that was it. For everything else, it's set to NVIDIA recommended/default. I even tried going back to the original default settings, but I get the same issue roughly every other time the computer goes idle. Any ideas? Thanks in advance, it's always appreciated.

OS - Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Motherboard - Asus Maximus VI Hero
Processor - Intel i7 4771 @ 3.5GHz
Memory - 32GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
Video - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690
Storage - 1x OCZ 128GB SSD (OS Installed)
1x WD SATA 500GB SSD
1x Seagate SATA 1TB HDD @ 7,200rpm
1x Seagate SATA 1TB HDD @ 7,200rpm
Power Supply - Corsair CX Series CX750M 750w
802.11n Wireless LAN Card
Heatsink - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO w/ Pull Fan

Is the PC set to balanced and then going to sleep when the monitors are turned off?

A gtx 690....wooooow... :)

Disable sleep. Intel has had some issues with this on and off iirc. With systems using ssds a useable desktop is available in less than 30s typically. I know it is t a solution, but a symptom covered up.

Is the PC set to balanced and then going to sleep when the monitors are turned off?

No, I have all sleep capabilities completely turned off, and it's set to High Performance.

Just today I came back to my computer and it did it again. But this time the monitors weren't shut off at all, I had VLC media player opened so they should have stayed on. But I saw just a black screen and another error 41. I do not know what is causing the computer to randomly shut off like this during idle...

Your sig does not show what monitor, monitors? By idle do you mean the screen(s?) go blank as they would normally? Mayhaps the pc is confused by the dual display's settings. There is a difference between sleep and the 'turn off display' setting. I set mine to turn off at 2m. This sorta reminds me of what happens if you switch a monitor's input and at first it doesn't recognize it until a reboot.

Your sig does not show what monitor, monitors? By idle do you mean the screen(s?) go blank as they would normally? Mayhaps the pc is confused by the dual display's settings. There is a difference between sleep and the 'turn off display' setting. I set mine to turn off at 2m. This sorta reminds me of what happens if you switch a monitor's input and at first it doesn't recognize it until a reboot.

What i mean by going black is that even when they are turned on, you just see a bright, black screen. Not as if they are off, but like the computer crashed. Not sure what the technical term for that is.

My main monitor is an Acer GN246HL 1920x1080@144Hz and my second one is an Asus CS228 1920x1080x60Hz.

Since a couple of days ago, I went into my BIOS and I found out that the Intel SpeedStep thing was turned on. Recently I reset my BIOS back to default and remade changes, and I guess I accidentally left that on. Turned it off and I also went into the NVIDIA control panel and set the GPU power settings to "max performance" to avoid any power saving issues messing anything up. Since then, I haven't had the issue, but if it reoccurs, I'll be sure to post it on this thread. Thank you everyone for your replies.

Back... it did it again today.

One question I had, in the power settings where you can adjust when "Hard Disks Sleep After" X amount of minutes, does Windows distinguish the difference between HDD's and SSD's? Recently I added in a new SSD and I have all of my main programs and such in there. I wonder if it's causing it to "sleep" and it's just crashing the computer?

Try using a built-in scrnsaver, essentially never shutting them off. Try unplugging one monitor. 'Sleep' refers to platter idle. SSD's don't have one. The best thing about not letting the hd's rest is that they are always ready to go with no wakeup time. You need to narrow it down to either the hardware itself or the software itself. Because I have my pc on more often than not, I let the actual hd's rest when they can. Also make sure there are no useless executables running at boot related to your graphics config. I went through my display adapter software completely, either deleting, and or disabling anything unnecessary. Since graphic drivers are so game oriented (facebook etc), it was necessary.

I gave my other monitor away as I never used it. I really want a secondary smaller t/s one for stats and whatnot so I can make my desktop even cleaner. How do you use 2 different monitors in your config may I ask?

Last edited:
Try using a built-in scrnsaver, essentially never shutting them off. Try unplugging one monitor. 'Sleep' refers to platter idle. SSD's don't have one. The best thing about not letting the hd's rest is that they are always ready to go with no wakeup time. You need to narrow it down to either the hardware itself or the software itself. Because I have my pc on more often than not, I let the actual hd's rest when they can. Also make sure there are no useless executables running at boot related to your graphics config. I went through my display adapter software completely, either deleting, and or disabling anything unnecessary. Since graphic drivers are so game oriented (facebook etc), it was necessary.

I gave my other monitor away as I never used it. I really want a secondary smaller t/s one for stats and whatnot so I can make my desktop even cleaner. How do you use 2 different monitors in your config may I ask?

I just have my second monitor as an extended display, usually I'll work on one monitor and have a movie or some kind of video playing on the other and I sort of watch it in the background. I really like having two monitors, it's hard for me to go back to one at this point. And by now I'm thinking it's actually software related, I don't think it's the graphics driver because I just got the update from NVIDIA a couple of days ago and the computer crashed again today.

Interesting discovery last night. As I was working on my computer a bunch of "device disconnected" signals appeared along with the USB disconnecting sound effect occurring as the Aero theme changed back to the Basic theme. I checked the Task Manager and 28GB of the 32GB I have were being used. I have no clue what caused this, but I just restarted the computer and everything was fine. Any ideas?

Back