• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Funny thing about Sabrent ssd's not getting much love from youtubers.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wade7575

Registered
I was looking at ssd's to get a few to replace some and have an extra laying around as well and I noticed something funny.

I was looking on amazon.ca for an ssd and seen the Crucial P3 1TB ssd and seen it was only 64 bucks Canadian funds then I seen the Sabrent Rocket 4 1TB for only 78 bucks Canadian funds and got looking at the specs as far as speed goes and TBW numbers and got a shock.

What I can't understand is Crucial charging 64 bucks for a 1TB ssd that has a 220TBW and 3550 read and 3000mb's write speeds,where as the Sabrent Rocket 4 1TB has a 700TBW number and 5000 read 4400mb's write and the Sabent has a 5 year warranty and their staff is extremely friendly on the phone if you need to call them.

I know Jayz2cents likes Crucial and I haven't seen to many youtubers mention Sabrent,I don't if Sabrent won't back the money truck up to youtubers or what the deal is I just find it funny that a Sabrent ssd that is 14 bucks more then a Crucial ssd and the Sabrent has over 3 times the write endurance and faster read write speeds you have to wonder what's going on with these youtubers that act like they are looking out for you.

Most of the big tech youtubers have had their channels for many years and have been into tech for at least a decade, some multiple decades. Sabrent has only been in the SSD space since 2018 so they're still pretty new to the game. Just like anyone, it's hard for a new company to come in and dethrone a brand someone has been using for years. Crucial is a well known trusted brand for all sorts of memory technologies so it makes sense. Also marketing budget, Sabrent hasn't spent the money, although LinusTechTips has featured their products before.

I know for me I think I will be sticking Sabrent because if their numbers are true that you can get 700TBW on the Rocket 4.0 ssd,with that good of an endurance you could either use the ssd in your next build or put it in an enclosure if you weren't going to use it in your next build.

I know that 200TBW is still a lot to write to an ssd and most people never will for a storage drive but it's the frugal part of me that say crap man 14 bucks more and you can get triple the endurance.

The Crucial is a cheaper, slower drive (PCIe 3.0 x4) using different (QLC) NAND while the Sabrent is PCIe 4.0 x4 speeds and the one you selected uses TLC. $14 isn't much, but it's 22% more expensive. It just depends on your needs. As you stated, TBW doesn't matter for 99% of users, and unless you're transferring large files as the primary function, the tiny file speed transfers (4k) are generally close enough to see only in benchmarks anyway.

Here in the States, the price difference is quite a bit more... $40 and $60, respectively, or a $20/50% increase. So it depends on where you're getting it from and the price as to what kind of deal that really is ;). Also, for $60, I'd rather run a Samsung 980 Pro than the Sabrent (both cost the same at Amazon US)... faster and TBW is barely below the Sabrent. Compare like things.... not PCIe 3.0 versus PCIe 4.0 drives. It's not so much youtube as your comparing unlike things. Compare PCIe 4.0 x4 drives to PCIe 4.0 x4 drives. PCIe 3.0 drives are going to be less expensive.

and their staff is extremely friendly on the phone if you need to call them.
May I ask why you had to contact them? Last you mentioned these Sabrent drives, you wanted to know about their customer service/warranty service and seemingly hadn't talked to them.

I know that 200TBW is still a lot to write to an ssd and most people never will for a storage drive but it's the frugal part of me that say crap man 14 bucks more and you can get triple the endurance.
To me, this feels like you're assigning a value that isn't there. I mean, that's nice to have, don't misunderstand me. But it doesn't add any more reliability/uptime....and it's up to the user if that value is worth the premium.

Last edited:
Youtubers ... hard to call most of them reviewers. J2C "reviews" are often pretty lame. Personal preferences are hard to call an honest review. Like Crucial example, I like their products. They're top quality with the best support ... but are they the fastest? or the best option in general? not so much. Still, if you have no idea what to buy, then Crucial is always a good choice.

Most modern SSDs are good quality, regardless of brand. Warranty is another thing as it depends on the manufacturer.
I saw many good comments about Sabrent, but also most other brands. Personally, I had the biggest problems with brands and series that seem to be the most respected, like Samsung and their 980 Pro SSD.
I would say that the SSDs I like and trust the most in the last years are probably the Kingston series - KC2000/2500/3000 and their Renegade series (the same as KC3000).

If you are using SSD for gaming, then TBW is not important, as even QLC will live for 5+ years without problems. If you are using it for work - VMs, databases, and other things like that, then probably it will still live for around 3 years. In the last week, I replaced 2x Crucial MX500 1TB SSD in a small server that was working 24/7 for 4 years (SQL database + multiple other tasks). One SSD had 4%, and the second one had 22% life remaining.

Here you have cheap and good SSD:
It's DRAM-less, so it's not the highest performance, but it's still one of the best and runs at very low temperatures (I have 2 of them) - up to 7.4GB/s read on AMD motherboards and still respectable random bandwidth.

I have a MX500 1TB that has been my OS drive for 5 years. Still at 73% remaining. I have a Sabrent 1TB PCIe3.0x4 that is running at 2.0 for 3 years and still at 100%, just a game drive (probably has never over-written any files). I am now just thinking of replacing it as the OS drive and using it for less active storage.

It is funny you Sabrent is ignored by YouTubers, as I first heard of Sabrent from Linus Tech Tips videos. When I saw it on sale for Black Friday (the 4.0 drives were coming out so 3.0 drives took a good price cut), I figured for game storage why not take a gamble. I suppose I haven't seen him plug their stuff super recently, but it has definitely been several times over the past years.

If this is in response to the J2C video I watched last night, I just gotta say those videos are almost always sponsored (he probably said that, but I only half pay attention to some of these). Even Jay will do reviews, like a new GPU comes out, he'll make up a list of games, what each GPU did at each resolution, like the others. To my knowledge he doesn't take money from GPU manufacturers for those. Almost every YouTuber has a degree of conflict of interest, and it is considered a good sign only if a specific video is not sponsored by a company being reviewed (when products are being compared to one another). The Crucial video was just a glorified "unboxing" style video. He said "look Gen 5 is fast" featuring one brand's product, (ostensibly) in exchange for money. He wasn't saying one brand is better than another, just, hey look at this. In that case many will over look the possible conflict of interest, even if he ends up comparing Crucial to Samsung to Sabrent next week (although that would be super boring and he probably wouldn't do it because he wouldn't make much on a boring video without a sponsor).

Youtubers ... hard to call most of them reviewers. J2C "reviews" are often pretty lame. Personal preferences are hard to call an honest review. Like Crucial example, I like their products. They're top quality with the best support ... but are they the fastest? or the best option in general? not so much. Still, if you have no idea what to buy, then Crucial is always a good choice.

Most modern SSDs are good quality, regardless of brand. Warranty is another thing as it depends on the manufacturer.
I saw many good comments about Sabrent, but also most other brands. Personally, I had the biggest problems with brands and series that seem to be the most respected, like Samsung and their 980 Pro SSD.
I would say that the SSDs I like and trust the most in the last years are probably the Kingston series - KC2000/2500/3000 and their Renegade series (the same as KC3000).

If you are using SSD for gaming, then TBW is not important, as even QLC will live for 5+ years without problems. If you are using it for work - VMs, databases, and other things like that, then probably it will still live for around 3 years. In the last week, I replaced 2x Crucial MX500 1TB SSD in a small server that was working 24/7 for 4 years (SQL database + multiple other tasks). One SSD had 4%, and the second one had 22% life remaining.

Here you have cheap and good SSD:
It's DRAM-less, so it's not the highest performance, but it's still one of the best and runs at very low temperatures (I have 2 of them) - up to 7.4GB/s read on AMD motherboards and still respectable random bandwidth.
I agree with you about the Samsung ssd's and they will most likely never seen a nickel of my money for the ssd's,I know in Canada they if you called in for warranty they would tell you that you need to call another number because it's not handled on this phone line and when you called the new number they told you the same crap and gave you a new number,I know a guy who called 12 different numbers they gave him before he got fed up.

I agree to that most modern ssd's are good even some of the Chinese brand ones if you just wanted it for portable storage and knew that what you were getting was nothing special.

I think and feel Sabrent is a good company trying to make really good product's with good performance and endurance while keeping prices low,with Crucial I know that they are really good ssd's as well but I don't feel like buying a P3 model from them with much lower TBW numbers and performance for almost the same money,I checked amazon before replying to this thread and now the Crucial is 69 bucks not 64 bucks and the Sabrent is still 78.

With me I believe that it's true you get what you pay for but at the same time with what I'm referring to with Sabrent and Crucial I don't feel like you are as much,I find to that company's like Sabrent that make excellent product's with great spec's and endurance that don't charge a fortune for their stuff are getting fewer and fewer.

With my I fix and build pc's in my spare time and I learnt along time ago the cheap no name brand hard drive enclosure's are just as good as the big name ones and you could often build a portable hard drive cheaper and better then a prebuilt.

I find to that company's like Sabrent that make excellent product's with great spec's and endurance that don't charge a fortune for their stuff are getting fewer and fewer.

I guess all I'm saying is to compare like things is all. Sabrent PCIe 4.0 x4 1TB drives against other PCIe 4.0 1TB drives. It's not fair to compare it against notably slower PCIe 3.0 x4 1TB drives. You still may come up with the same end, but may also find several other brands that are as fast or faster with similar TBW drives. ;)

I guess all I'm saying is to compare like things is all. Sabrent PCIe 4.0 x4 1TB drives against other PCIe 4.0 1TB drives. It's not fair to compare it against notably slower PCIe 3.0 x4 1TB drives. You still may come up with the same end, but may also find several other brands that are as fast or faster with similar TBW drives. ;)
I get and agree with what your saying I was just looking at it more from a price and TBW number perspective,I thought the P3 was a PCIe 4.0 ssd as well,as far as speed goes I find that a lot of people don't need speeds much faster then PCIe 3.

I get and agree with what your saying I was just looking at it more from a price and TBW number perspective,
Yep, same when looking at it through that lens too. ;)

I thought the P3 was a PCIe 4.0 ssd as well,as far as speed goes I find that a lot of people don't need speeds much faster then PCIe 3.
Also, true. So for a lot of people, there isn't a need to spend even $14 more. If you need (or want it!) go for it, but you're absolutely right................. few need the TBW values (200 TBW is fine for most situations) and few need such high speeds.......... but we all WANT IT!!! :rock:

I remember when SSD's became mainstream and all the top tier (Samsung, WD, Seagate, etc) were all the rage, but someone forgot about 'lil 'ol Lite-On. I've had them for years without fail. They're dam bulletproof. I still have one left in my son's rig.

Back