• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Questions about antec signature 850

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

velozzity

I have owned a Antec signature 850 for about 2 years now and am baffled by something concerning the modular cables. On the power supply there are 2 places for what looks like 8 pin pcie cables to go (as seen in red below in pic, also refer to this pic which was originally shown on a Jonnyguru.com review for better view of the connectors http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules/NDReviews/images/SG850/DSCF0274.jpg), but the only modular pcie cables are 6 pin on the end that connects to the actual video card and 8 pin (minus 2 actual wires) on the part that connects into the power supply itself (as shown below in the pics)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

So question is are there any actual pcie 8 pin modular cables that have 8 pins on both sides. Reason for asking is that the hardwired pcie 6+2 cables (which there are 2 of) share 12v3 and 12v4 with the outputs for the pcie modular cables (output is in red in first picture) but are in no way labeled as to which cable coming out of power supply uses which rail. Problem is both hardwired cables have the extra bit for the +2 and since i am not using it since the gtx 580 only takes (1) 8 pin and (1) 6 pin and I have to wire tie it back so that it doesn't look like the unused wire part is dangling. If I use one of the modular cables and one of the hardwired ones (since the mod cables i have are pcie 6 pin) then i can not be completely sure if I have both pcie cables loading up the same 12v rail. So question is......Did antec purposely make this power supply so that the modular cable appears to have a place to put a pcie 8 pin in but only give a 6 pin cable. Being able to just use the modular ones and put my choice of pcie 8 pin or 6 pin would alleviate the dangling wire that i have to wire tie away and make it look better in my opinion. Oh and sorry about the dust, i need to blow my case out in the worst way also.

Last edited:
have you contacted Antec to see if they will supply a modular cable that is true 8 on both sides? as other psu's do provide true 8pin to 8pin cables.

Back