• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Blu-Ray under Win7 for free?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CompuTamer

Member with Some Fancy Text Under His Name
I need a good Blu-Ray software/codec for Windows 7. I'm perfectly happy with Media Player integration, and would prefer it if possible. Just something that can play a Blu-Ray disk :) I have a drive and all the required hardware, just can't find the software.

Pretty sure that a free blu-ray software doesn't exist yet. You can buy WinDVD or CyberLink PowerDVD. Another option is buying the latest Nero with the blu-ray addon.

You cannot play copyright protected commercial Blu-ray discs using freeware because of royalty fees.

You can play non-commercial Blu-ray discs or files using http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/ Media Player Classic (Home Cinema) freeware.

PowerDVD, TotalMedia Theatre, and WinDVD latest versions can play commercial discs but have to be constantly updated to deal with always changing copyright protection. Even hardware Blu-ray players need updated firmware to deal with the always changing protection schemes.

I think some of the first actual Blu-ray players can't even be updated to play some of the latest Blu-ray titles... It's crazy but that's how it goes with Blu-ray.

I think some of the first actual Blu-ray players can't even be updated to play some of the latest Blu-ray titles... It's crazy but that's how it goes with Blu-ray.

Yeah, I have an older BR drive in my HTPC & it can't (nor will ever be able to) play Avatar because of the disk's stupid DRM. :rain:

Yeah, I have an older BR drive in my HTPC & it can't (nor will ever be able to) play Avatar because of the disk's stupid DRM. :rain:

That's kinda scary, because Avatar is what i want to watch! :(

Thanks for the help guys. Guess i'm off to BestBuy to find the cheapest solution.

P.S. I hate Sony.

I have a LG BluRay/HD-DVD ROM combo drive, which they decided not to firmware update. Update your Sony's firmware & hopefully you'll be OK.

I have the latest firmware for the drive. I just hate Sony for making Blu-ray such a closed source technology. Makes it impossible for the average Joe to use it on their computer.

Oh well, got it working, watched Avatar, was wowed, all is well :)

Glad everything worked. I was wowed on DVD. Hope to be re-wowed when I get a new drive.

Which software did you get?

You will be if you have a half decent monitor :) Or TV. Blu-ray looks stunning.

I got Power DVD. My last DVD-Rom came with it, and i didn't have any complaints, so i just got the newest version of it.

Back