• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What psu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orionzbelt1

I am currently building myself a pc and have ordered already a few items along with some of my old components

I have ordered a ASUS P8P67 BOARD, INTEL I5 2500K, 8GB MUSHKIN BLACKLINE MEMORY

I already have antec 300 case, intel x25 40gb ssd and a 2tb samsung hard drive and the usual dvd writer

The power supply that i have currently is a 650w FSP which i know are not the best in the world

I dont intend on overclocking or gaming on the pc at all its purely a workstation,my question is what size psu can i get away with using would a Corsair Builder Series CX 500W be ok

the first thing you need to do is figure out what video card you are going to use in this system, would be best to figure out what would be the most current damanding card that you might want to put in there or if you would ever entertain using more than 1 GPU as that is the main power draw on your system. Without knowing the GPU I would say that for just about any single card setup that 650 would be sufficient, but I would prolly go for a nice 750 or maybe even an 850. Then you need to know if you are worried about cable management and whether you would prefer a modular PSU or not.

the first thing you need to do is figure out what video card you are going to use in this system, would be best to figure out what would be the most current damanding card that you might want to put in there or if you would ever entertain using more than 1 GPU as that is the main power draw on your system. Without knowing the GPU I would say that for just about any single card setup that 650 would be sufficient, but I would prolly go for a nice 750 or maybe even an 850. Then you need to know if you are worried about cable management and whether you would prefer a modular PSU or not.

Gpu is only a 512 8400gs just so i can have hdmi output as i said i dont game so no need for expensive gpus.and yes would prefer modular as no need for half the cables

Gpu is only a 512 8400gs just so i can have hdmi output as i said i dont game so no need for expensive gpus.and yes would prefer modular as no need for half the cables

Here's the problem:

You only need a minimal power supply requirement, 400W is more than enough, but there aren't any decent inexpensive modulars that size.

Your best bet is this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151093

Seasonic 520W, which is way more than you need but it's the best inexpensive modular in the small size you need. It's currently out of stock but they will get more in soon.
There are other smaller modulars but they aren't cheap.

This one is ok too:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256065

Last edited:
Back