• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HD 6990 vs GTX 590

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ChaosInMind

Im sure everyone has read the http://blogs.amd.com/play/2011/03/25/2056/ about the "Fastest video card in the world" bs. Everyone knows its nVidia! To prove it I put the cards through my own tets to avoid this corporate conflict mis-data they like to throw around.

Now, I wanted to test both cards at the same time to avoid environmental differences such as heat, humidity, and the moons gravitaitonal pull. Both systems were overclocked slightly to avoid bottlenecks. The science behind my testing is very advanced, and very accurate. Lets get started!

:comp:

System #1
Intel Celeron 1.66Ghz @ 2.01Ghz
P35 Foxcon
1GB DDR2 667 (Single Stick)
40GB 5400rpm IDE 66
Windows Vista 32bit
Apple Cinema Display (2560 x 1440)
ATI Radeon HD 6990

System #2
Intel Core i7-975 six core 3.33Ghz @ 5.40Ghz (Nitrogen Cooled)
X58 Asus
12GB DDR3 2000
SSD RAID0 512GB
Windows 7 Professional 64bit
Westinghouse 19in 1440x900
Nvidia GTX 590

Lets just jump to the results. The obviously inferior product here, the ATI 6990 only scored just over 4fps. We checked all the components and ensured the right drivers on the CD were installed. The worst part about this is the benchmark took 4 hours to load! The video card is obviously to blame, most likely to fauly drivers...

Radeon 6990
1.png

The GTX 590 on the other hand scored very high. We ensured the latest drivers were installed directly from the beta section on nVidia's website to ensure fair comparison. The results below speak for themselves!

GTX 590
2.png

Lets be serious for a moment, they are both great cards at a similar price point! I'd be happy to own either one =). It's nice to see ATI ahead of the game to keep those nvidia prices low.

LMAO! Sometimes we need these kind of threads with "hidden" clues to hijack ourselfs. First i though that this is just some trolling, but then i saw the hint.

Anyway, even though this might be funny, i think after some time this should be deleted, because this is not serious.

LMAO! Sometimes we need these kind of threads with "hidden" clues to hijack ourselfs. First i though that this is just some trolling, but then i saw the hint.

Anyway, even though this might be funny, i think after some time this should be deleted, because this is not serious.

it did make me laugh, aslong as these joke threads dont take over the whole site its okay :)

Last edited:
it did make me laugh but im sure it will get moved/deleted due to spamming/pointless posts.

I was thinking about getting the 580 or 590 for the 3d and physics. On the other hand the Radeons are a bit faster :confused:

Either way these are some beastly cards. Does anyone know about the difference in image quality? I hear claims that the nVidias have better in that department.

I was thinking about getting the 580 or 590 for the 3d and physics. On the other hand the Radeons are a bit faster :confused:

Either way these are some beastly cards. Does anyone know about the difference in image quality? I hear claims that the nVidias have better in that department.

as much as i love nvidia products (tegra 2 phone for example) the 590 was built with quiet performance in mind not mind blowing ripper fps.

go for the 6990 if your ears can handle it.

This thread made me lol.

People better not take it too seriously though ;)

Back