• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

anyone using this PSU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
No idea, but looks like garbage for a modern computer. It only has 252W on the 12v rail (at most).

No idea, but looks like garbage for a modern computer. It only has 252W on the 12v rail (at most).

so, definitely not a good psu?
what about the 80+ rating? isn't that good for something?

Its below today's average for efficiency, thats about it. Efficiency has little to nothing to do with the quality of a PSU.

I would check out the list of known good PSU's we have at this site (link in my sig).

question: is it really dangerous to use a PSU like this? i mean, do these PSU's die on you just months after using them? does anyone have like a "study" on the time frame a no name PSU will cause problems? i'm really confused now that choosing a psu is that difficult.. we've had 3 pc's before and i dont think there was any problem with the cheap power supplies..

is the life of a PSU only dependent of the brand and build quality of the components?

and also, is it not worth the risk to use this PSU? it will just be running an i3 processor, 4gb ram, 320 hdd, and a not power hungry vcard..?

thnaks,,

No, there's no real study, not that I've seen. But this is what it comes down too, the PSU is wired to everything in your computer. If it blows, it can possibly take everything with it. So IMO, I would never, ever go with a cheap PSU. Maybe the risk isn't that high for the certain PSU, but if I'm unlucky, I can be really unlucky.

There are only a handful of companies that actually make PSU's. Most of the ones you find on the market are rebranded. Therefore, based on the brand, we can usually tell who made them, and therefore what quality they are. For example, we know that Seasonic units are very high performing, and are some of the best build quality on the market. While Seasonic sells their power supplies themselves, we also know that most Corsair PSU's are re-branded Seasonics, so we recommend Corsair.

This isn't all blind speculation, there are a few people who do heavy PSU testing. http://www.jonnyguru.com is one of the best websites for PSU reviews.

If I were you, I just wouldn't take the risk.

question: is it really dangerous to use a PSU like this? i mean, do these PSU's die on you just months after using them? does anyone have like a "study" on the time frame a no name PSU will cause problems? i'm really confused now that choosing a psu is that difficult.. we've had 3 pc's before and i dont think there was any problem with the cheap power supplies..

is the life of a PSU only dependent of the brand and build quality of the components?

and also, is it not worth the risk to use this PSU? it will just be running an i3 processor, 4gb ram, 320 hdd, and a not power hungry vcard..?

thnaks,,

You get what you pay for. With these cheaply built units, you may not even get that.

When they go, they can take out other components. They have no over voltage protection or any other type of protection. They are throw-away units. Choosing one is not difficult if you use our "sticky" list. Many others are not on that list but are still reputable. The sticky list is the "best of the best," you don't have to buy from that list, there are others available.

Here's one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371003

And another:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371033

question:

will a separate voltage regulator help?
like it will complement the PSU with giving the unit enough juice to prevent it from dying up.. i've seen this set up back home in gaming/net cafe's..

Cheap PSU's can and will screw up every component hooked to them.. motherboard first, then prob the hd's you know the main stuff.

question:

will a separate voltage regulator help?
like it will complement the PSU with giving the unit enough juice to prevent it from dying up.. i've seen this set up back home in gaming/net cafe's..

For the cost of an Antec Earth Watts 380 ($40), it's not worth the effort or consideration.

What rig do you need it for? There are many better that are not expensive.

just a bit of gaming.. not any of those heavy and demanding games..
do you know any pSu's that are cheap buy of good quality? i've checked the antec eearth watts, the price there in the u.s is cheap,, try checking here in the UK.. very expensive,. it's more than $40 here..

do you know any pSu's that are cheap buy of good quality? i've checked the antec eearth watts, the price there in the u.s is cheap,, try checking here in the UK.. very expensive,. it's more than $40 here..

List some vendors you buy from in the UK and we can take a look at what they have.

by the fact your using arianet i know your in the uk, and those psus are garbage, i replace those all the time in the local area, they are on the same level as some FSP for not doing half of what they are rated for.

if you dont know about them, I use ebuyer quite a lot they are pretty good price wise.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/185183

its still more expensive in the UK than it would be in the USA but everything is.

edit: any one used corsair CX series? I know their TX series is pretty good , but CX is cheaper
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/240998

edit: what are you planning on powering with this, can you list specs?

With the number of fairly inexpensive and quality units out there, spend the money on a good PSU, especially in a modern (ish) system. Find a quality used unit if your budget doesn't allow for a new one. The Earthwatts 380 or CX430 works well. I have the CX430 in my backup system.

Funny thing though, up until a few months ago I was using an 11yr old Y2K brand PS; those units that comes with the case. It mostly ran 24/7 over 4 builds on overclocked, albeit low powered systems. Have to say it served me well until the strain of the Pentium D bogged it down enough for me to get something decent.

Back