• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Raises The Bar on Sub-$100 Graphics Performance and Image Quality

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The only question I can ask is "why"? I know that newer cards are more efficient and run cooler, but instead of wasting so much time and effort marketing "new" cards (which are actually very low performance cards) they should instead keep making the old generation cards and sell them as a budget option.

The only question I can ask is "why"? I know that newer cards are more efficient and run cooler, but instead of wasting so much time and effort marketing "new" cards (which are actually very low performance cards) they should instead keep making the old generation cards and sell them as a budget option.

they might be able to do that but they wouldn't. it doesn't make sense from there POV as if the newer ones are actually smaller. meaning if the newer one has less transistors then the last one. the older one will then mean less per wafer. on cost per wafer the more you can fit onto one the cheaper it is to manufacture the newer one vs the old one.

really retail wise they are the same cost. taking the newer lower end one for the same price. i mean take a look at these two cards, both 1gb ram, one 5450 the other 6450.
HIS H545H1G Radeon HD 5450
vs
HIS H645H1G Radeon HD 6450
so for roughly $2 more you get better IQ then last gen plus double the SP's. sounds like a win-win to me.

they make most of their money on the low end cards. Its what the OEMS buy.
Sure they make less per chip, but they make it up on volume.

And the OEMs always want a new model to sell. Because to the ill informed newer is always better.

Back