• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5 vs New Phenom II sales - Newegg review count curiosity

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
All i5 has going for it is a slight decrease in price. Which can be partially offset by the fact that you do not NEED triple channel ddr3 on 1366 platform, it works just as well with 2 sticks as 1156.

It is an interesting time for CPUs right now. A year ago AMD was hard to defend even for total fans. I was so so close to getting a core2quad when the phenom II 940be came out.
AMD almost didnt release 940's, they were intitially going to wait and debut phenom II with am3 chips a few months later, but Intels release of i7 got them to make a pure ddr2 version. It really worked out for amd, as they got to sell a bumload of 940's and x3 720's, and it got Phenom II popular, at least catching peoples eyes, before their main line of am3 chips hit the scene. Who would have expected AMD to make such a significant comeback in less than a year, much less (IMO) total domination of the low and midrange markets. The compatibility of all the AM2/+/3 sockets and CPUs really helped them too, as a full build from scratch PhII vs i7 is much closer of a call compared to being able to reuse memory/cpu/mobo and upgrade your box step by step with amd. Coupled with amazing chipset/mobo prices and rather good onboard video compared to anything Intel has available, they really hit the mark. And the fact all this money saving goodness hit the market just as the reality of how bad the recession is/is going to be helped too. Price is going to continue to be a major, if not the major, factor in pc upgrade decisions for quite awhile to come. Probably moreso in the coming years than it is today as the reality of how screwed our lovely USA is becomes more apparent to your regular joe.

Recently on the news local officials came clean on local news that the average person at the bottom of the economic food chain (read: most of the population of my county) can expect to wait up to 9 months to find a job. amd its only going to get worse. I was looking for a job every day for 3 months this year until I finally went begging my friend for my job back and finally went back to work, so the numbers they said on the segment may really not be that far off. Quite scary, but good for a company that seems to be focusing on prividing the absolute maximum performance and features for as cheap as is economically feasible.

I haven't heard anything abou the C3 955's dropping to 95W. I know the C3 955's are already out in the market with 125W rating.
I would def like to see where you saw specifications for a 95W 955BE.

PhII has been out a lot longer then i5, too.

Mid way throguh the thread and the reason now comes out.. Good job bob! :bday:

see

And just a note on the reviews of i5 vs Phenom II', I was talking specifically about the PhII's that came out the same time as i5. The 965 C2 already has more reviews than i5-750, the c3 has another 100 reviews 2 add to that, and the Athlon II 620 also came out around the same time and has more reviews than the i5 as well.

All together there are a lot more reviews posted last quarter for A2/Ph2 chips than all the new chips intel released Q4 put together, by a rather large amount actually. Aside from the i5 750 none of the other 1156 CPUs have even topped 100 reviews really. LOTS and lots of recent amd chips are way over that.

I agree Phenom II has been out longer which is why it should have more reviews. AMD Athlon II x4 62- has about 174 reviews on Newegg and Intel i5 750 has 220 reviews. Both are released roughly about the same time frame. Yet AMD seem to gather as much review as Intel. I think it is significant in the way AMD did their pricing scheme for do your self crowd. The pricing is just gives you more choices.

If you look at the math, I have more choices of lower end motherboard for Athlon II 620. I just recently purchased an ASUS M3N78-EM for $50 on clearance. A very cheap price for a motherboard with firewire, eSATA, and HDMI with NVIDIA 8300 IGP. It supports the latest Athlon II 620. Where else are you going to find cheap motherboard for Intel i5? You can only get Intel based chipset and that won't be cheap for a while. Not only that, Athlon II 620 is about 1/2 the price of Intel i5.

Oh yeah, did I mention there is no integrated graphic for Intel i5 until early next year? I do not expect significant volume for Intel i3/5/7 series platform until the i3 with integrated IGP is out.

For best bang for your buck, AMD is the way to go. Had Intel dropped the price on the Core 2 Quads, then we will see some serious competition. So far, they seem to contend of slowly and gradually phasing in their i series. This is no doubt a move to protect their margin in which Intel happily showed that margin has increased last quarter report.

That is why I think Newegg review for do your selfers is different than what market share Intel and AMD should be at.

I thought I made it pretty clear that's what I was talking about in the first post, guess I was wrong =)

I agree Phenom II has been out longer which is why it should have more reviews. AMD Athlon II x4 62- has about 174 reviews on Newegg and Intel i5 750 has 220 reviews. Both are released roughly about the same time frame. Yet AMD seem to gather as much review as Intel. I think it is significant in the way AMD did their pricing scheme for do your self crowd. The pricing is just gives you more choices.

If you look at the math, I have more choices of lower end motherboard for Athlon II 620. I just recently purchased an ASUS M3N78-EM for $50 on clearance. A very cheap price for a motherboard with firewire, eSATA, and HDMI with NVIDIA 8300 IGP. It supports the latest Athlon II 620. Where else are you going to find cheap motherboard for Intel i5? You can only get Intel based chipset and that won't be cheap for a while. Not only that, Athlon II 620 is about 1/2 the price of Intel i5.

Oh yeah, did I mention there is no integrated graphic for Intel i5 until early next year? I do not expect significant volume for Intel i3/5/7 series platform until the i3 with integrated IGP is out.

For best bang for your buck, AMD is the way to go. Had Intel dropped the price on the Core 2 Quads, then we will see some serious competition. So far, they seem to contend of slowly and gradually phasing in their i series. This is no doubt a move to protect their margin in which Intel happily showed that margin has increased last quarter report.

That is why I think Newegg review for do your selfers is different than what market share Intel and AMD should be at.

Intels current pricing of core2duo/quad hardware is completely ludicrous.

Intel really needs to wrap their heads around the current economic situation. Charging 200+ for almost your entire previous generation product line is kind of offensive. IIRC theres only one core2quad under 200, and its really slow and doesn't have the massive chunk of L2 cache that the pricier ones do - those are the C2Q's that pop up in the benchmark charts on the hardware review sites up there with, or right under, modern intel and amd hardware.

They still charge over 100 for core2duo's too. I mean, you can get Athlon II dual cores that will oc at least as high as c2d's for 60-80 bucks, and quad core 620's also for cheaper than pretty much every c2d's current price. A few c2d's still have retail prices above full blown Phenom II X4's.

The pricing situation is even more insane when you consider that core2 platform is 100% completely dead. At least with older amd chips, going all the way back before Phenom to AM2 A64's, these chips can be used in modern motherboards. Technically they are still not a dead platform. But Core2 boards are completely extinct, never will there be a new board with that socket with any modern or up and coming tech on it. Phenom 1's and A64 X2's are so insanely cheap as to be practically free, yet intels chips from that generation still cost almost as much as if they were new.

I really just don't get it. Intel like, believes it is a privilege to own and run their hardware, that people will pay 2-4x (or more!) the cost of equivalent (or faster!) AMD hardware just because. And sadly a lot of people will. Amusingly on another forum I frequent people actually recommended people buy the 160-180 dollar core2quad over a spankin' new 955 BE C3. People come to the forum to ask for new build advise, and people recommend they buy 2+ year old hardware, on a completely dead platform, when there are amd alternatives that are cheaper (both the cpu and total platform cost), faster, and in this case most importantly modern and UPGRADABLE.

AM3 chips are backwards compatible all the way back to nearly the earliest am2 mobo (exception of some older boards that cannot handle over 95w), work great with ddr2 or 3, and you can expect to buy the chip now and be able to get a new mobo for it with new tech down the road; or expect to be able to buy a new cpu down the road and drop it into that mobo. I like to use usb3 as an example as its going to be a huge huge lifesaver in the realm of portable data storage, usb2 for xferring large amts of data stinks badly.
None of the above is true for 775 chips. Buying core2 now for current prices, for anything but replacing a dead piece of hardware on an existing platform, is IMO crazy and an extremely poor decision. Even say, replacing a core2 mobo in an existing core2 build is often not going to be cost efficient. Lets say your c2q dies and you just want to replace it, and it costs 180. For that price of less you can get a Athlon II X4 620 and 785G mobo. You can still reuse your existing ddr2 (or ddr3 if your c2q board used it) by getting an am2+ or am3 785g board. Newegg in fact has a combo deal for 150 right now with a 785g+ X4 620. So for 20-30 cheaper you can step up to a cpu that will oc at least as high, and probably higher, than your dead c2q, and you get to move to a modern future proof platform as well. In addition, Phenom II and Athlon II's, with thier on-die memory controller, get MUCH more out of ddr2/3 memory than core2's northbridge mem controoller. I know this for a 100% fact as my good buds core2quad (1k extreme edition one no less) only gets between 6000 and 7000mb/sec bandwidth in sandra and everest mem benchmarks, my lowly ddr2-1066 on my PhII 955 (and 940 before it) gets 9-10k mb/sec, even a little over 10 with the cpu_nb speed over 2.2ghz.

I did not intend for this post to be that long but I wanted to vent a bit about how much Intels refusal to drop the prices of old products on a dead platform bugs me. They really don't seem to want to budge at all on prices, nor acknowledge that money is tight right now and charging significantly more than the competition for both old dead products, and insane prices on new products (500-1000 for an i7 with a few hundred more mhz than the ones below it come on now lol), just isn't very feasible with todays economy.

But hey being a big fan of AMD now, I don't mind. AMD provides everything I need at a great price. From high performance to midrange gaming to budget hardware, AMD has a chip for you that is considerably cheaper than an equivalent Intel offering. Heck AMDs highest performance chips are still cheaper than intels cheapest budget chips (this gen the i5-750@200 is intels cheapest chip, AMDs budget quad cores start @100, budget dual cores @50, and highest performance chips are 160-195). I'd be sitting on a dual core and crying right now if there was no amd and we were all stuck paying 200+ for any current gen quad core, not to mention a nice chunk of change on the mobo. And I doubt if AMD wasnt around there would be any Intel quad cores at 200, theyd probably be considerably more expensive than that. I remember way back before AMD was a real competitor Intel chips started at 500+ and ranged all the way up to 2k. Pre- to early pentium days, maybe even a little longer than that, if Im not mistaken.

Last edited:
Back