• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Al Garncarz

Registered
:mad: :( :( :confused:

I have to ask you guys out there, does anyone have the new Windows XP up and running? The ones who have it running, do you like it? I can't imagine anyone liking it, either I'm doing something wrong or it's the slowest Oper. System I have ever used. I mean Win. 3.1 was better. Were is my Winfile so I can just drag my files from my A drive or whatever to my hard drive???
What I got was I insert a disk in A drive, go to My Computer, and then highlight the files I want to put on my hard drive, well did that with a very small program and after I selected and highlighted the files it began to copy files to my hard drive, Well
the time said 3 minutes left. I would do the same thing on Windows 98 winfile and just drag my files and with-in seconds they would transfer to my hard drive. Please, could anyone out there tell me if I can have my Winfile back and have it run on Windows XP. And why is Windows XP so slow compaired to Windows 98??? My computer I just bought is an HP Pavilion with
a 1.1 Ghz processor installed, so it's not like I have a real slow computer. Please help me because if Windows XP really runs like this and theres no way to get Winfile to install on it then I want 98 back, the only problem there is I have many, many good programs on the hard drive that came with the computer but never had a back-up disk so I could put them on Windows 98. Well this is it, anyone out there with the same problems and found a way to fix them, e-mail me or post a solution...

What the hell is Winfile?

Basically what you're saying is, that XP is slow. No surprise there, considering the amount of services it runs. If you wanna make it better, go to http://www.tweakxp.com and tweak the hell out of it to make it better. Other than that, I'd get a friend to drag his box over, back up all your stuff, and format back to 98 or 2000.

Xp doesn't seem too slow to me. How much RAM do you have? Less than 256MB and it will seem slow. I managed to get it to run fine on a Duron650 w/ 256MB.

While I'm talking about XP, I have to comment on how stable it is. The only reason I turned it off last night was because my mum complained about the noise :D It was folding between Sat 10am and Monday 3pm approx (I think).

Winfile.exe is the Windows File Manager, its been around since 3.1 but I dont know if it is part of XP or not. You can just use Windows Explorer in XP to do anything that Winfile would do. XP is not responsible for time it is taking you to copy files from a floppy to your hard drive. You may have some driver problems if it really is taking that long. Did your computer come with XP preinstalled or did you upgrade from a previous OS? Have you checked the Event Viewer to see if it is indicating problems loading or running programs or services? Have you installed any programs that are incompatible with XP? You really didn't provide alot of info that would allow people to try to help you determine what the problem is or how to fix it.

I agree with jw50...the problem you are having is not related to the OS, but a hardware problem. You either have a floppy going bad (yes, even new ones can be bad off the jump), or a driver problem. Also, your HDD could be the problem. When was the last time you defragged it? I wouldn't think it was XP, though...

Well thanks for the info.

:D :burn:

Well i'm going to go and do some tweaking on it, but to answer a few things, I have 256 ram and what I needed to do bad was to defrag the drive. I thought because of just buying it brand new
I wouldn't have to do that right away. Well that seemed to make things faster by far. But even though I can copy things from disk faster than before, I still think that they made a big mistake getting rid of WinFile in XP. I mean it was the only program that I knew of where you could have 4 different drives open at once and then just drag anything from one to the other without no typing or anything. Well thanks anyways, I' going to go to that site and try to see what tweaking can do for me...

There is an issue with FDDs working sporatically in XP.

I replaced the drive/cable twice before I realized that a couple hundred people have the same problem. :mad:

Once in XP the FDD works flawlessly or complains that there is no disk/that it needs to be formatted. Though I can boot from the drive without an issue.

Do a search for Floppy drive problems in XP- there's lots :eek:

PenguinFreak said:
Xp doesn't seem too slow to me. How much RAM do you have? Less than 256MB and it will seem slow. I managed to get it to run fine on a Duron650 w/ 256MB.

I've had it extremely statble on much less...

WinXP is the best operating system out there along with Win2000. Its stable, way more than Win98. I have to admit, there are still a few problems with the os but, geez, Win98? that os made me swear on a daily basis for a yr before i upgraded to XP.

I basically abandoned the whole floppy drive thing about a year ago. Well, I was having floppy issues(not software) so I just said forget about it, I never use it anyway. The only thing I could have needed it for was an emergecy repair disk.

um you can have 4 different drive windows opened at once and drag and drop back and fourth
just go to folder options and enable the open each folder in its own window box and you can have open drives and folders all over your desk to drag and drop all u want

Just another thank you for good ideas

:eh?: :eh?: :eh?: :rolleyes:

The more I use Windows XP, the more I like it but I know everyone has to agree on this, when Microsoft made the new windows upgrade a upgrade should ALWAYS except past windows programs, files, hardware and ect... What I mean is I
think it's a bunch of bull**** that I had a printer, scanner, webcam,
digital camera program and cd burner program that no longer works, I mean what's up with that. And it really sucks when all the stuff I'm talking about is not any older than 2 years and worked perfect. :mad: :mad:
But I do agree that the new windows is really cool and a special
thank you to ???TURD??? for the bit on opening the file windows so I can drag and drop, that's a plus. And I found that XP also has a burner program in it. I just wish that I could get the scanner, printer and the program that controls my dig. camera.
Well I'm really not a complainer but I really think that it sucks that an upgrade to XP is more or less like starting over from Dos to Win 3.1. How many people had to throw away there hardware just to have to buy new that was set mainly for XP???

Most of the companies made software in time so you could get your hardware working. Look on the appropriate sites for updates. Its been 5 months or so since winXP is out. Im sure theres software for everything you have, if not, blame the companies, not the operating system. I didnt have any problems when i updated (clean install) from WinME to WinXP, neither should you.

http://www.windrivers.com/
http://www.drivershq.com/

These site are great for getting new drivers. Take a look, search around on the internet. If you dont know the model and such of your devices, take a look
here theres an advisor to help you indentify you hardware. Hope this helps.

It's Me Again

;) :) :) :) :burn:

Well I'm much happier than before, I still have to get my scanner working somewhat better, but it works now thanks to something I found called Compatibility Wizard. I got my digital camera program to load and it runs fine, plus my printer now works and my scanner works but not like before, but it does work. Well once again I have one more question for anyone out there. I always watch ScreenSavers and they had a remedy for bubble notes that pop up all the time, but I didn't have XP then so I never wrote it down. So I'm asking anyone to tell me how to get rid of bubble alerts. I tried to install my scanner awhile back with just the cd and after it installed the computer said it could not load the drivers because they would conflict with the computer, well now everytime I start up them two bubbles come up from my lower right hand corner. Is there a way to eliminate then for good??? Well waiting for a reply, thank you...

HKEY_USERS\xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced

Go there and make a new DWORD, EnableBalloonTips and give it a value of 0 (zero)

Back