• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bitlocker

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
soooooooo I am encrypting an 8TB with about 6.5TB used external hdd with Ms bitlocker and it is taking DAYS!!!!!!!!!
was this a mistake??????
how long will it take to decrit the drive ?
will it take this long to unlock the drive?
will bit locker re encript the whole drive when I shut it down or just the files i have added or modified?
am i posting in the right section?

Last edited:
It only takes long when you encrypt it for the first time. Later, you have almost instant access, and single files are updating fast.

I won't hide I don't trust it ... or at least not without an additional backup. We had some single cases when something weird happened, and we couldn't unlock the drive. Looking at our company, it's a chance like 1/75 counting office computers, but it happened 3 times in 5 years as I remember. I can't explain what happened, but the keys didn't work, and the drive was locked. One time, it was probably after the BIOS update, which the user installed with everything else from Windows Update.

yea, windows is always an issue, that's why I, as a rule, use linux but, my cpa prefers that i use windows to assure compatibility with his.
will windows back up back up an encrypted drive?

Last edited:
well we can tell someone forgot his meds.
very good link, thanks janus67.
so can i just drop it in a two slot dock and copy the disk to another disk?

so can i just drop it in a two slot dock and copy the disk to another disk?
The recommendation section mentioned using a backup program that won't throw a fit with encrypted drives. If you have a dock, try it... then see if your system can read the encrypted drive afterward. If so, you're golden.

I don't encrypt drives at home, so offhand, I don't know what program won't throw fits. Try Macrium reflect (free) is my suggestion. You may need to pay for a backup app to do that....but I'm just guessing there.

Keep us posted on what you did and what worked!!

Good to see you, CD. :)

Last edited:
this is an at home drive.
windows must have something weird going on, a full 24 hours and bitlocker has made 2 percent progress, their power settings must be ineffective.

I have retired to a place that requires us to start a business that employs 2 locals within three years, which was just stupid on my part , how is this retirement if I have to manage A business????????????
everybody here has to play the high security game because the crime rate here is so very high, it's so bad that we ride mopeds and have to leave the trunk thingy unlocked because they will just pry that open every time we ride to town!!!!!!!!!
good to see you earthdog, i hope to hear from some more old friends.

bit locker has finished encrypting the drive, it has taken 4 days.
the machine i used is attached to a kvm switch that i use between it and another computer.
it looks like when i would switch over to the other computer bitlocker would pause encrypting even with high performance selected.

Back