• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Extend USB 3.x?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
I have a thread about remodeling my basement to make a home theater. I plan to keep my computer in a different room and run cables into the theater. Most of this works fine without much effort. However:

I would like to buy an external USB Blue Ray drive. They have them with USB hubs built in and slots to read memory cards and connect other devices too. This external drive will act like a set-top box to play physical media in optical, SD, USB and micro USB forms. I plan to either set this on a table next to the couch or attach it to the wall next to the couch. The issue is that the distace from the computer to this drive is long enough that I anticipate issues. I would like to deal with any issues prior to finishing the room.

I'm thinking of a USB extender via Ethernet. At the end next to the couch, I will have a USB keystone to plug into. Making it neat and modular.

So, finally, the question is, what do you know about USB cable length and ways to work around signal loss? Have you experienced negative effects from USB cable length?

Note: I suspect that my cable length will be ~25'. Maybe more.

I've read *most* of what you posted. Very informative and helpful. Thank you.

I've taken a break from reading ('cause I hate reading) and started looking at various methods of extending USB 3.0. Costs range from $20 - $1,000. No kidding! I saw an option for $1,000. That's not happening but WOW!

I'll keep reading and keep looking. I'll run conduit to various locations within the room and pre-wire for speakers, HDMI/DP, USB, etc. I'll do that after electric and before drywall.

Yeah, I've never done it, so I can't share anything but the facts, lol. It looks like a simple active cable plumbed in is at least one ~$50 option.

I'm interested to hear what you come up with. :)

Back