• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

USB tester?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
I'm looking to buy my son a digital USB tester. Prices range from $10 - $70. I think that I would prefer to limit my cost to around $20 but not if $20 doesn't work. Then I don't want to spend that. Know what I mean?

Have any of you purchased or seen reviews on these things?

I'm looking at this as an option.
This is an option that I'm also looking at.

Generically, this is the search I used on Amazon.

I'd like to get him a cheap one as a stocking stuffer.

I've had one on my Amazon Wishlist for a while. Don't know why I haven't pulled the trigger.

I remember someone buying a tester a while back, but can't remember who it was.
Edit: It was @WhitehawkEQ

Last edited:
i use one of these at work:

its USB C only though and only works if it can detect both ends (charger and device) if theres a dead short some where or if theres nothing connected at all on one side it does not power up.
Like for instance if i want to check the output voltage of a charger, i cant just plug the charger into the female end and see its output, i need to find a device and put it at risk if its outputting to much.

we did pick these because they will handle voltages over 20V and chromebook\laptop usb c chargers are about that when detected correctly.
they do come in handy but not very often.

plus we cant figure out if the temperature it pulls from some where on that charging data bus is the charger temp or the charge controller temp.

I've had one on my Amazon Wishlist for a while. Don't know why I haven't pulled the trigger.
Amazon.com
Same. I think I like all the colors, but can't really figure out a use for it. It's easy to tell if if a port works or doesn't and not much we can do about it, so, never felt the need, I suppose.

...still tempted, lol!

Same. I think I like all the colors, but can't really figure out a use for it. It's easy to tell if if a port works or doesn't and not much we can do about it, so, never felt the need, I suppose.

...still tempted, lol!
I just recently figured out a use for one. I have a set of 4 1.5v lithium rechargeable batteries, which I plugged into an older iphone charger. Turns out the charger must have internal overload protection and tripped while charging the batteries. The charger also reset on its own, so I can still use it to charge the phone. I could confirm that theory by comparing the amp rating on the charger with the amp draw from the batteries while being charged.

Back