• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Strange Driver Update - Help !

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Glacius

I recently finished building a new gaming rig, with the Asus EAH6850 graphics card, i've been having some issues with jagged lines, and motion distortion in game. I updated the drivers for the graphics card, and after it was finished my graphics card in device manager was no longer titled Asus EAH6850 but AMD Radeon 6800. Was this an error or am I just misinformed ? :shrug:

Also, anyone have some safe recommendations for overclocking the EAH6850 ?

Ok. What version of drivers did you originally have? From cd?
What version of drivers did you apply? Did you install them on top of the old drivers or did you uninstall the old drivers prior to new driver install?

Have you tried using the catalyst control center to overclock?

as far as it listing as a 6800, amd groups their drivers into 6XXX, 5XXX... Etc... Groups, so this is normal. If I had to guess, it listed 6850 before because you were using the supplied Asus drivers, am I right?

Everything was brand new the drivers I initially installed were for the EAH with no previous graphics drivers installed prior to that one.

No, I didn't uninstall anything do you recommend I uninstall, then reinstall ?

Yeah. Google for DriverCleaner Pro 1.5. This will enable you to fully erase the old drivers.

Go into Control Panel>System>Device Manager and uninstall the AMD graphics drivers, check the tab to erase the drivers.
Restart into safe mode and run drivercleaner pro. Scan for ATI graphics drivers only. Run the cleaner then restart.
Install newest AMD drivers, reboot, test.

Also, what games are you having trouble with? Are you monitoring temperatures?

Thanks for the help, my graphics card usually hovers around a temperature of 40-60 Celsius. I have problems with a lot of games but in general with Team Fortress 2 which is the only game I really play atm. Lines are jagged, and the visuals fragment when ever I move a lot. Occasionally on other games like Amnesia I get a weird transparent line running from the bottom to the top of my monitor. On all these games I am running everything on max settings.

just finished reinstalling, going to see how it performs now.

I still get the strange motion distortion in TF2, maybe its the graphics card ?

Thanks, I found V-sync causes the distortion when trying to adjust the graphics. The jagged lines in game were removed by making some adjustments in the catalyst control center. Thanks again for the help :D

Back