• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gateways

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AMD'er

I have read in various post and threads that some people have home Gateways. My question is how hard is it to setup a gateway and does it serve the same purpose as a router?

A router is a much better solution. But a gateway machine will serve you well so long as you don't host alot of online games. BUt with a router it wouldn't be much to just set it up on the router to let a game go through.

thanks for the reply, I was tring to decide between a gateway (because I have an older computer doing nothing) and a router for the home network.

I'm running an old PII400 for my Gateway. I just happened to have enough parts layin' around to slap it together. A router was not a real option for me cuz I have a USB DSL modem.

I just set the thing up, and stashed it upstairs in the kids room under a bed, no monitor hooked up to it. I use VNC to get to it from any of my other boxes.

It has worked out great for me, and I can leave the thing folding all the time.

Back