• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Netgear Nighthawk Wifi 6E Router.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BruceUSA

Can some one here please help me out. I have been using Nighthawk R7000 (AC1900) wifi router for over 10 yrs. Lately its sometimes disconnect and re-connect the wifi. I decide to look for a new router. I got one from Ebay "Like New" Netgear high end router. Nighthawk WiFi 6E (RAXE500) AXE11000. I disconnect the old router and connect power and ethernet cable to the new router. I download Nighthawk App on my phone and proceed to do a setup. On my phone I see NETGEAR34, NETGEAR4-5G & NETGEAR 6G. When I try to connect any one of this three above and enter Network "Password" = Password. Its failed to connect saying I enter the wrong password. Situation like this. What do you do when you want to setup a router that has been used before? I appreciate any help.

PS. I start to wondering, Maybe I have to push the reset button to reset to factory default settings? I just want to hear from you experts to give me some information before I do the re-connection again. Because I have already reinstalled the older router so I have internet.

Bruce

Attachments

• router.JPG
    router.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Earthdog. Again thanks so much for your time man. Appreciate it very much. Any way, I did try a few times by press and hold the reset button until the led light all go out and then come back with just 1 led light. I then proceed to the phone app and failed to connect to my network. I enter Password. Upper case or lower case, neither one work. I am thinking perhaps this is a defective one? I am wrapping it up and will be sending it back to the seller. I atempt to call Netgear router support phone number listed on the internet. I encounter scammers. When I made the call, only at 1 ring, a person answering phone and sound like a indian accent. I immediately feel suspicious that he is a scammer. He fisrt ask for the serial# of the router and I give it to him, and then he saids you bought this router March of 2023? I say I got it used. He said, don't worry we can help you fix it. I became even more suspicious when he said that. He then said I am going to put you on hold for few minutes ok. I waited maybe 2 minutes and I said to my self this guy is s scammer so I hang up. Within minutes he calls back 3 times and I did not pick up the phone. So google search for netgear router support again, and the 2nd one seem more official web site. I call and, only 1 ring a person answer the phone. He asks for serial# and I give it to him. He said you bought the March 2023? I said I got used. He proceed to ask me how many devices I am going to connect to the router? I did not want to tell him how many. He said he just need to know the aproximately. I said maybe 20 I made up the number. He ask do I have any other device connected to the router? I said none. do you have a lap top connected? no. Any cameras connected? I said why do you need to know that? Then I hang up on him. He then immediately call me back 3 times. The 2nd call back I answer the phone and say to him. Stop Fcking calling me you are a fcking scammers. He calls the 3rd time I block and ignore him. The world of internet, scammers everywhere.

PS. This is a hint from a scammers. When you hear he/she said don't worry we will help you fix it. Or put you on hold, ask how many devices or cameras connect, laptop etc. Don't forget the Indian accent.

Last edited:
My man, you need to setup the new p/w for the network in the router. Acess the router and setup your Wi-Fi...

There should be instructions how to do so in the manual for that router. The 'site' to access my asus router is something like router.asus.com which gives me access to the setup/software of the router.

Yeah but I thought you would temporarily login with the default= Password. After login into my network and then change the default password to a new password. It is not how it done? The thing is, it is not asking me to create a new password but rather a login password. So the default Password is Password and it is say incorrect.

Another question. While the Nighthawk app is active open and I can't go login into the netgear router website. Can't access that with out the internet on my desktop.

I highly doubt these are scammers... It sounds like they are following the script to help you get connected. Also, where do you think these companies outsource their call centers to? It likely isn't South Dakota.

If you don't have any devices physically connected to the device (over cat5/6) how are you connecting? I haven't seen a router broadcast an unprotected ssid at setup, but maybe that's more common now with more devices not having network jacks?

I'd Google up the instructions to factory reset the router then do that and read the manual for the setup instructions

I have other question about the nighthawk app on my phone. It is currently registered on my phone nighthawk R7000, AC1900. Is there a way to remove this R7000 and update to the RAXE500? right now the only way to do that is to delete the App and re-download it into my phone and create a new account with new email which I don't want to do. I rather want to like upgrade router and keep all email information intact. Any help is welcome.

you shouldnt have to use the app, in fact i recommend not using it... some times they hide a skip the app option when you try and log into the routers web based menu usually at 192.168.1.1

as an example, this is mine, and it'll be different than yours but again its just an example:
Untitled.jpg

this one tries to force you to use the app but the skip step option on the phone image (circled in green) is actually how you get to the log in screen for the routers stock firmware with out the app.
pretty shitty if you ask me. Nighthawks will be different but theres usually a way.

this whole, use an app to use a thing, mentality is pissing me off lately

and create a new account with new email
Why would you have to do that? What a terrible app if that's how it works...lol. You should be able to select it or... the app figures it out, someway. Have you checked the instructions?
If you don't have any devices physically connected to the device (over cat5/6) how are you connecting?
This. Connect your router to a PC, bring up a browser, go to your router... log into router...set SSIDs and PW on them....connect.

Ok. Finally I got it all good but I am a bit embarrassed to say the least. I was misunderstood and under the impression is that I use the Password = Password as a login to my network. But this Password is meant to use to log in netgear.net (admin & password) . Under the router there is a white bar that has words on it. That words is a Password to login into my network and I successfully connected into my network.
Before that I download the pdf annual and there is a link to contact netgear support. I call and spoke to 3 people there and all was helpful. They never asks how many devices I am going connect or cameras laptop etc. All that none sense I was having with 2 scammers earlier. The 3 people I spoken to never said don't worry. I am going help you fix it. First they ask for the serial # and immediately identified this router is registered to someone else. I need to uploaded a purchase receipt and I did. Then they open a case for support. After spent transfer to different departments back forth. I told the lady I don't care about the warranty. All I want is to get this thing connected to my network. She ask me how I did it and what Password I was using. Then she point out there is some kind word in a white bar and I told her yes. I'll give that a try and I got it connected . Damn this Nighthawk RAXE500 6E Wifi is insanely fast. Match this up with Netgear Gigabit modem work awesome.

Last edited:
Why would you have to do that? What a terrible app if that's how it works...lol. You should be able to select it or... the app figures it out, someway. Have you checked the instructions?

This. Connect your router to a PC, bring up a browser, go to your router... log into router...set SSIDs and PW on them....connect.
I am confused what you say here. I connect the router to the PC. Open a browser. But I am not being connected to the internet. So what you are saying I can just type in the SSID and hit enter on the keyboard then get me connect? I am try understand.

Ok. Finally I got it all good but I am a bit embarrassed to say the least. I was misunderstood and under the impression is that I use the Password = Password as a login to my network. But this Password is meant to use to log in netgear.net (admin & password) . Under the router there is a white bar that has words on it. That words is a Password to login into my network and I successfully connected into my network.
Before that I download the pdf
Page 20-24 of that manual, bub. Spells it out for ya.... even where to find the label. :)

I am confused what you say here. I connect the router to the PC. Open a browser. But I am not being connected to the internet. So what you are saying I can just type in the SSID and hit enter on the keyboard then get me connect? I am try understand.
In order to access your router, one method is to type in 192.168.1.1 or, in the case of Netgear routerlogin.net, into your browser. This allows you to access your router directly and setup your Wi-Fi and passwords for them. It does NOT require internet...

Last edited:
I have other question about the nighthawk app on my phone. It is currently registered on my phone nighthawk R7000, AC1900. Is there a way to remove this R7000 and update to the RAXE500? right now the only way to do that is to delete the App and re-download it into my phone and create a new account with new email which I don't want to do. I rather want to like upgrade router and keep all email information intact. Any help is welcome.
After My new router got connected. It is automatically updated and removed the old router. Now my Nighthawk App show the new RAXE500 Router.

After My new router got connected. It is automatically updated and removed the old router. Now my Nighthawk App show the new RAXE500 Router.
It's almost like someone said that would happen... :p :bday:

That's awesome, man. Glad you got it working. These things can be intimidating. That's a pretty high-end router with a lot of features. :attn:

Yeah love this RAXE500 router, the 6G is crazy fast. My 2 yrs old Samsung S21 Ultra phone get connected to 6G and my high end Samsung 8K TV QN800A (2021 model) also get 6G connection. Everything else in my house get 2.4G or 5G connection. All my older Samsung phone get 5g (wife & kids phone)

Last edited:
Yeah love this RAXE500 router, the 6G is crazy fast. My 2 yrs old Samsung S21 Ultra phone get connected to 6G and my high end Samsung 8K TV QN800A (2021 model) also get 6G connection. Everything else in my house get 2.4G or 5G connection. All my older Samsung phone get 5g (wife & kids phone)
Have you tested your phone with both WiFi 6 and WiFi 6e to see if there is a difference in speed?

I have a WiFi 6e router but don't currently have any devices that support that. I would like to know whether it would be worth getting devices that would support WiFi 6e.

I just ran speed tests using the Speedtest app:
ASUS TUF Gaming (2022) laptop: 857/239 Mbps
Samsung S21 5G phone: 796/237 Mbps

Note they are both WiFi 6 which uses the 5GHz band.

Not sure the s21 has 6e... my s22+ does and I reach my house/wired speed (1 Gb/ 40 Mbps service) with it. It's only worth it of you run faster than Gb speeds IMO.

Last edited:
My S21 Ultra connected to 6G. The speed it is showing on my phone ranging from 860Mbps-1.4gb.
Post magically merged:

Have you tested your phone with both WiFi 6 and WiFi 6e to see if there is a difference in speed?

I have a WiFi 6e router but don't currently have any devices that support that. I would like to know whether it would be worth getting devices that would support WiFi 6e.

I just ran speed tests using the Speedtest app:
ASUS TUF Gaming (2022) laptop: 857/239 Mbps
Samsung S21 5G phone: 796/237 Mbps

Note they are both WiFi 6 which uses the 5GHz band.
My S21 Ultra connect to 5G I am seeing about the same range as your S21. On my phone I see 3 options to choose from; 2.4G, 5G and 6G.

Back