• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Router capable 2gig speed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
A quick search states that Windows 11 removes link aggregation since 2020. Apparently there are several hacks around to reenable it but I haven't looked at doing these "fixes". Seems easier to just have 2.5Gb networking gear if you're on Windows. I'm interested to read about this project though if you do aggregate.

Last edited:
If the MB has 2 RJ45 ports he can aggregate on the PC side or even put a add on NIC card for more ports.

backpanel.jpg

If the MB has 2 RJ45 ports he can aggregate on the PC side or even put a add on NIC card for more ports.
With the question being: How? If Windows doesn't support it, is there software that you can buy or install?

A quick search states that Windows 11 removes link aggregation since 2020. Apparently there are several hacks around to reenable it but I haven't looked at doing these "fixes". Seems easier to just have 2.5Gb networking gear in you're on Windows. I'm interested to read about this project though if you do aggregate.
It's not really a hack per se, just have to use powershell.

Stolen from elsewhere...

Code:
New-NetSwitchTeam -Name "NameOfTeam" -TeamMembers "NameOfAdapter1", ...

But yes, it would be simpler to bump a network to some multi-gig setup; 2.5Gb and up. Most boards have 2.5Gb now, some have both that and 10. Haven't seen many, if any that have 5Gb on board, but supposedly the new 10Gb Marvell NICs can do 5.

Look like I need this card to get 2 gig connection.

Attachments

• 2.5Gbps card.png
    2.5Gbps card.png
    174 KB · Views: 3
Look like I need this card to get 2 gig connection.
That's similar to what I used for the older hardware on my server. My newer hardware for my main machine has 2.5Gb built in. Works great either way for me.

Last edited:
That's similar to what I used for the older hardware on my server. My newer hardware for my main machine has 2.5Gb built in. Works great wither way for me.
Awesome. I wonder my MSI Z690 MOB natively support 2.5Gbps? How do find out this? I. The BIOS ? I will take look in the bios. As of now it only getting 1Gbps connection.
I don't mind spending $30 for the 2.5Gbps card.

Last edited:
If you have this MB, you have 2.5Gb already. BIOS won't tell you much along this type of information. Best to look at the specs from the manufacturer. Note: You will only get the fastest speed from the slowest link in your network. This is why I split off my 2.5Gb machines from the rest. I have some really nice Ubiquiti switches and all but they are only 1Gb. For my main rig and my server, I had to shunt them over to a cheaper TPLink branded 2.5Gb switch to maintain that high speed.

Edit: If you have the MB listed in your sig, you already have 2.5Gb on your MB. That part is all set. It won't work with aggregation as you only have the one port but if you buy a router that will support input and output 2.5Gb, you're golden.

Edit: I upgraded my modem to have 2.5Gb output. Then I upgraded my router to have multiple 2.5Gb input/output. Finally I bought a switch to allow for 2.5Gb. So there was some investment. If any one or more of these items is only 1Gb, then that will be the fastest any other piece can go from that point.

Last edited:
Hey all. I will be installing P-Link TL-SG108-M2 | 8 Port Multi-Gigabit Unmanaged Network Switch, Ethernet Splitter | 2.5G Bandwidth | Plug & Play. I want to know which following order the device should be? From modem to router and then to the switch?

Modem 2.5Gbps port --> Unmanaged Switch 2.5Gbps Port ---> Wifi Router 2.5Gbps

Any other 2.5Gbps Wired Devices connect to the Unmanaged Switch
This allows for simpler config/setup with least amount of wires while achieving highest bandwidth
Thank you. I will update when I get it connected.

OK. Finally got it working. My MSI Z690 MPG Edge motherboard came with 2.5Gbps LAN but it is not working. I bought P-Link 2.5GB PCIe Network Card (TX201) and P-Link TL-SG108-M2 | 8 Port Multi-Gigabit Unmanaged Network Switch, Ethernet Splitter | 2.5G Bandwidth | Plug & Play.
I connect per unsafesteagle instruction. Restart the PC. Everything is connected and ran a speed test to verify internet speed. Wow, using the P-Link 2.5Gbps card and the TP- Switch made life so simple.

Attachments

• 2.5Gbps speed.png
    2.5Gbps speed.png
    47.1 KB · Views: 2
Ok. more question. My 1st desktop PC working fine. I try to connect the ethernet cable on my 2nd desktop to the switch port 2 or any other port and I got no internet access (Unidentified network (Public network) If I disconnect the ethernet from the switch and connect it to the RAXE500 router, then I got internet. Doing it way only give 1Gbps. I want to get 2.5Gbps on all hard wired device. How can I fix the unidentied network?

Last edited:
Are you sure theres only 1 dhcp server running?
You should either run the dhcp server in your modem or the dhcp server in your wifi router.
dual dhcp servers will collide. also if you choose not to use the modem dhcp server ipv6 is gonna be tricky.

do this first.
disconnect the ethernet cables and reboot each device sequentially reconnecting the cables.
start with the modem.

Screenshot 2024-03-16 233512.png

Find your windows ethernet adapter status and verify both IPv4 and IPv6 Internet

Are you sure theres only 1 dhcp server running?
You should either run the dhcp server in your modem or the dhcp server in your wifi router.
dual dhcp servers will collide. also if you choose not to use the modem dhcp server ipv6 is gonna be tricky.

do this first.
disconnect the ethernet cables and reboot each device sequentially reconnecting the cables.
start with the modem.

View attachment 365471

Find your windows ethernet adapter status and verify both IPv4 and IPv6 Internet
Per your instruction this fixed the no internet access (Unidentified network (Public network). Thank you so much. I could not solve any computer/networking problem without the help of on this forum. I appreciate so much from all the helps I've been receiving.

Modem 2.5Gbps port --> Unmanaged Switch 2.5Gbps Port ---> Wifi Router 2.5Gbps

Any other 2.5Gbps Wired Devices connect to the Unmanaged Switch
This allows for simpler config/setup with least amount of wires while achieving highest bandwidth
I don't see how the router is going to assign IP addresses with the switch in between the modem and router. But then again I'm not running 2.5Gb speed.

My network

mynetwork2.jpg

I was confused as well, but I assume their modem is a modem/router combo running DHCP versus a normal modem which is good for a single connection instead

Back